Web Server Software (Apache/IIS/Other): Apache 2.2.3
Operating System: Linux, FedoraCore v6
Theme you are using: default
Custom template: No
PHP Debug Messages: See below
MySQL Debug Messages:
Smarty Debug Messages:
A full description of the issue:

Hello all. I downloaded XOOPS today and have been trying to play around with it some to get used to it. I currently use Joomla for my websites, but lately the integration of other open source stuff that I use has been lacking and has left me to use external links and wrappers and such to integrate web apps that I use to get it all to work and look at least like it belongs.

That has prompted me to look for other CMS solutions and after spending the majority of the day looking for other CMS's and trying demo's etc., I decided XOOPS seemed to be a much better solution for me. I downloaded it an installed it without a hitch, but I ran across an issue trying to install a few modules.

My first module (phpAdsNew) went fine. I then tried the ZenCart module (both apps I already use) and I got a Module not found. Thinking I may have done something wrong or the module itself was missing something, I tried another module, a statistics module and got the same thing.

So I did a search and came up with this thread:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=56611&forum=2&post_id=250337#forumpost250337

but I dont see any empty module folders and they all have xoops_version.php files in them. I turned on debugging and I get the following error message:

Notice: Undefined variable: msgs in file /modules/system/admin/modulesadmin/main.php line 179

Im not familiar enough with XOOPS yet to know what exactly I should be looking for and Im not exactly a PHP expert.

Sorry my first post here has to be this, but I figured I would try and see what ideas anyone had and how I may correct the issue. Thanks in advance.

script_fu
Re: Module Not Found

PHP Version: 5.20

Your trying to run older modules that have a hard time with php 5.

It's a split road, most of the newer modules are compatible with 4 and 5.

What is so sad is some only with 4 and some with only 5.

------

Depending on your hosting account give some of the older modules a chance with php4

------

About your link to the other posts. Recheck that you have infact uploaded the base folder for lack of a better word.
I've unpacked many modules that had multiple folders above the module. Drill down till you see the admin folder and upload the folder above.

Example: In a perfect module install you would need the folder above all of these sub folders. (admin, class, sql, blocks, language ect. ect.

You will like XOOPS alot just give it a lil time.

Most of all welcome!

Regards
Billy

script_fu

BTW awesome domain name... And very good site/love/idea you have.

sourcingmap
  • 2007/1/25 6:57

• sourcingmap

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/4 2

goood luck to you!!!!

WarDick
  • 2007/1/25 7:03

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Check the file permissions on the folders which are giving you the module not found error messages.

ls -la from a shell

make sure the ones that work look like the ones that dont.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

StormStrikes

I guess I should have clarified something. Im trying this out on my test server as it were on my laptop runing Linux. So I could always revert my PHP back to 4 or something like that, in fact Im using XAMPP for my test server set up and I know for a fact there is a command that will allow me to switch between v4 and v5. My actual web host uses v4 something, so I should be good there.

Thanks for the welcome and the comments on the site. I hope to have it converted over to XOOPS before too long. Joomla is good, and the core system works really well. Ive been using it for a little over a year now, but there is very little integration with major open source apps like ZenCart, phpAdsNew, phpList and so on. So that has prompted me, as mentioned earlier, to look for a more integrated solution and XOOPS seems to be all that.

At any rate I'll check the file permissions, and I'll switch the test server over to php4 and see if that helps. Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

jensclas

Welcome!

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

Please note the module repository is out of date. Check this FAQ for How to select modules for your site.

StormStrikes

I not only checked out the documentation, but printed all of them out and put them in a binder. I browsed through the FAQs but didnt expect to find anything there regarding the No Module Found error, perhaps I should have checked a bit more if it is indeed there.

I did use the search function, as that is how the post I linked to in my opening post, but after trying out what it suggested the issue was still not resolved, so I posted here.

I read the ===Please read before posting=== here in this sections which is where I found the template that I included along with my post, but I was not aware of the 'How to select modules for your site' as I was not aware also that the Module repository was closed and had not updated.

I did mention that yesterday was my first day with Xoops, so I do have some things to learn and am trying to make the effort. I will be reading the manuals tonight and continue to play around though.

Thanks for the info.

zyspec
  • 2007/1/25 23:19

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

This is a common error message if the directory is not put into the ./modules directory correctly.

phpAdsnew has the folder you need to put in your XOOPS modules directory several directories below the level that's extracted from the zip... make sure you copy the
/xoops2-mod_phpadsnew_v13_08_w4z004/html/modules/phpads directory into your /modules directory... The end result is that you want the /phpads directory to be in the XOOPS /modules directory...

In other words you want:

/yoursite/modules/phpads

not

/yoursite/modules/xoops2-mod_phpadsnew_v13_08_w4z004/html/modules/phpads

StormStrikes

Yeah, I discovered that the main files needed could be several folders down depending on how it was packaged.

I did switch to php4 and that did not help. I did go to the link jensclas provided for selecting modules. Though the modules are harder to find because there are 183+ pages of them there rather than the categorized listing, I have got a couple of them to work from there. However, I have also found a couple that still give me the same error message. Im trying to figure out the common denominator to see what is going on but I would suspect at this point that it is a matter of compatibility at this point.

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits