snow77
Text editors, js/ajax effects & others...creating a central resource
  • 2007/1/21 23:45

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

quoting kris_fr from this comment
Quote:
The problem comes from the multiplication of the modules which use these scripts.
So in the long term, the members will be able to select and to keep their theme in their profile, I think that these scripts must be in a folder specific to the root of the Web site.
Why not to make a package “jseffects” with lightbox, thickbox, greybox, dojo, etc… then the webmaster will add just the bonds in the theme

ok, I see your point of view and also dislike the multiplication of un-necessary code throughout the system, when only one instance of it can be used by other components of xoops.

A similar example of this multiplication problem is what's happening to all the wyswig editors, after installing 10 modules you will see that you have at least 6 or more koivi's in your system, because besides the one you install in the class folder, there's phppp's xoopseditor pack, plus some modules also bring the editor inside them, I don't see that practical ....and well it wouldn't be nice for that to start happening with these light-grey-thick box extra effects.

Will the module developers take this in consideration? (it's something unrelated to the core )

It would be really great if there were some planning so that these extra components are found in one place, and that it be a standard to access these resources from there. This would serve as a clear guide for theme and module developers know with what tools they count with, how to implement them in their works following a standard, and ideas on which new ones can be implemented without interfering with the core and making easier their maintenance and upgrades.

This could be like a new category in the downloads section where these basic resources are found and are not necessarily modules, ex: xoopseditor, frameworks, smartobject, + these new js/ajax effects
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

wizanda
Re: Text editors, js/ajax effects & others...creating a central resource
  • 2007/1/22 0:36

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

We could have a repository of JS files, my themes currently are more JS parts then a html main file...
So then people could add into thier theme as needed JS files to do tasks.....as you can make XOOPS display the information by including the .JS rather then html...making key elements at hand and pre-made with AJAX in mind

Think we need a good Wiki would be far easier to arrange layout of new ideas and old as we work together

snow77
  • 2007/1/22 19:17

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

Wizanda, that is not exactly the main idea of what I am talking about... when you say this I imagine something like dynamicdrive.com... and that's what it's not about.

To start with I vision very few elements in this "resource/toolbox library":
- text editors
- light-grey-thick-boxes
- other 'closely related to xoops' tools

It's more about resources that are being used by several modules at once and to avoid the multiplication of the code when several components need use of the tool at the same time.

One tool could be accessed by all, that's the point, why have 5 hammers when one can do the job.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

kris_fr
  • 2007/1/22 20:29

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

At the beginning, I had taken the option to put scripts in the folder “include” as certain developers did it for their modules, following a discussion with pemen, we made the decision to dissociate these files of the core of xoops, I have thus to create this specific file “jseffects” to put them.
In the theme, it is just enough to add some lines in the theme, and that also facilitates the life with the developer of modules since the call to scripts does not depend more than one file specific to the module.

For do summary, imagine that on http:xoopsthemekris.free.fr (850 themes), I had scripts for each theme, + modules xsgal, +extgal, + rmmfsoft portfolio, + … how much time will have I them files of scripts on my site?
Whereas a simple folder "jseffects" (or another name) and some lines in the head of the theme and the turn is played

It would be interesting to count and propose a package of tools at disposal of the designers and developers of modules

Kris

kris_fr
  • 2007/1/30 22:48

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

See my comment on the article concerning the release of morphogenesis for jquery and greybox

I very soon will propose a package of “jseffects”, I await just the “dojo” of Hervet and to make the english translation of the readme for this package.

I will also look at to put the modules which I already adapted or modified for some modules

See also

@ snow: you can write in english on XOOPS France, one will undertake the English/French translation and the reverse

snow77
  • 2007/1/30 23:21

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

thank you, I'll be posting here and in frxoops too
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

kris_fr
  • 2007/2/6 23:08

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

hi,

read this french article, tomorrow in english may be in xoops.org

snow77
  • 2007/2/8 2:08

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

I just read the article, thank you Kris for such an interesting compilation of resources, I hope we can all coordinate and be able to refer to it as centralized tool center.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

rabideau
  • 2007/2/8 12:30

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I think the idea is to store widgets for reuse.

If this is the case, you ought ot establish a number of reuseability requirements, constraints and the like. Certainly this idea is in keeping with the whole OO thing.

Along this lines, if you already know there is a magnificent location for such stuff, albeit not limited to XOOPS, already.

===>http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

I use this site quite a bit.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

snow77
  • 2007/2/10 6:16

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

(quoting a past post by myself in this thread)
Quote:
... when you say this I imagine something like dynamicdrive.com... and that's what it's not about.

To start with I vision very few elements in this "resource/toolbox library":
- text editors
- light-grey-thick-boxes
- other 'closely related to xoops' tools

It's more about resources that are being used by several modules at once and to avoid the multiplication of the code

seems to me kris-fr, herve, and phppp have done a great start towards this, despite I don't really know what's behind it all and don't know much.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Login

Who's Online

208 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 208

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits