sputnikr
upgrading from 2.0.15
  • 2006/12/5 17:58

• sputnikr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/30

I installed XOOPS 2.0.15 using cpanel on my webhost.

How do i upgrade to 2.0.16 ? or do i not need to at this time?

for one thing i have a theme that makes the page load in the middle you know?

and the newbb module strethces out the middle block causing the left blocks main menue to squeeze and get all out of wack

I cant figure out how to make the newbb module not do that.

besides this newbb module kinda lame.

Is there any other forum or discussion board module i can use besides this one? maybe something better?

preachur
Re: upgrading from 2.0.15
  • 2006/12/5 18:04

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

What version of newbb are you using?
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

preachur
  • 2006/12/5 18:08

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

You can download the 2.0.16 upgrade. It's worth it. What's the URL to your site? Some themes were setup for one resolution or browser and look funky on another. A couple of themes I have used had to be nested in a fixed-width table to pull them back together. You can usually fix it with the .css files in the theme folder though.

Anonymous
  • 2006/12/5 18:35

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yep - the 2.0.16 upgrade from 2.0.15 is simple to do. Just upload the files and excute a script via your web-browser.

As for newbb, I'd give is a miss and get CBB 3.07 (and the xoopseditors and Frameworks) from the Dev Forge. Although called CBB, its really the latest version of newbb - even the module directory is called newbb

Not sure I understand what you mean about the theme. Some themes are two-column fixed-width which might be an issue for you.

I've gone with a theme called "bizlook" and you can download the latest version from the My Web Resource website.

The theme has a simple to vary "wrapper" which means that you can set the screen-width occupied simply by editing one number in the style.css file. I've set mine to be 100%, but it comes set at 95% anyway.

The standard "bizlook" colours are a but dull (to my taste anyway!), but it's really easy to alter the colour scheme as style.css is logically labelled. Mine doesn't really look anything like "bizlook" anymore, but the changes didn't take that long to do.

As already suggested, perhaps you could post the URL so we can take a look?

Don't give up

sputnikr
  • 2006/12/5 18:43

• sputnikr

• Just popping in

First of all thanks everyone for your input . Im not sure which version of newbb im using . Its the one that some dude told me downlaod the other day . so i assume its the newest one. I got it here.

here is my link. I have made some changes to the original templates style sheet and inserted a flash file instead of the normal header

http://sputnikradio.com/us

PS. I still have a lot of work to do.

im going to have /ru version as well as the /us

one in russian one in english . Then im going to make my main index page .com/index just a flash splash screen with me in my DJ outfit with a big star behind me . Then you will choose whether you want english or russian

which brings another question. Would it be too hard to mirror my english version in another folder as a russian version?

Are there langauge packs or will i have to go in and translate everything myself?

thanks again for any input.

jensclas

Quote:
Are there langauge packs or will i have to go in and translate everything myself?

click local support on the left and there is a link to the russian XOOPS support site. Hopefully that will help.

For how to upgrades, play with themes and such things the foundation docs are New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

The version of your forum should be identifiable when you hover over it in your site admin/modules or look at the file structure of what you downloaded - the read me file usually has this info.

To explore themes more try this

post here - sounds interesting.

HTH

preachur
  • 2006/12/5 19:04

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Your whole site looks good..... Maybe it's a browser or resolution issue. I'm looking at it with I.E. 6 (Only because this isn't my computer, otherwise I would be viewing it with firefox.) the resolution is 1024 X 768 The only thing I see is visitors have to have 10000 karma to view the forums. Also, when I use newbb I disable the

HP : 0 / 0

MP : 0 / 0

EXP : 0

They seem to throw the layout of the forums out of whack.

I sent you the download link the other day. That's newbb 2.0. I personally don't like it that much, but it is the best one I've seen for xoops. I even purchased a 175.99 commercial forum that has an available XOOPS module. Even that didn't work quite right. Waste of money and time.

preachur
  • 2006/12/5 19:09

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Resized Image

It looks pretty balanced to me.

sputnikr
  • 2006/12/5 19:24

• sputnikr

• Just popping in

well thats the index page with the recent topics block set on center block center

if you click the newbb link on the main menu you will see how the rest of the forum stretches out the block.

OH and by the way. I am putting a logo that says powered by XOOPS on the bottome of my footers. Along with a powered by MSQL and powered by Shout Cast . so all creds will be given.

Right now its just in its early design stage . Im not releasing the new site anytime soon.

but i will download and install the newest version of everything and try to make those corrections you guys mentioned.

I appreciate the input EVERYBODY.

Thanks.

jensclas

well...i don't know how to solve the problem but i can say in firefox the site loaded and looked good, then newbb looked good, but when i opened a specific thread the center column got a case of bloating and pushed the page out wide and sqhuashed left and right columns -- so there is a problem there at that level.

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits