jpopenstudio
Module for a multi artist/multi portfolio module

Hi,

We are working on a site for a local group of artists and need an estimate for a clever gallery system built.

It would host multiple artists in a searchable directory. Each artist would be able to upload images and edit the text and contact information in their own, password protected, gallery space.

The admin would control how many images would be allowed for each gallery (5, 10, 20) and have access to edit or delete inappropriate images.

There would also be a random, "featured artist" listing, with a thumbnail of one of their images and a link directly to that gallery, on the front page of the site.

Please let me know if you are interested or need more information. An advanced example of this type of site is Portfolios.com. We are not looking for something that indepth.

We are also looking for someone who can help us streamline other areas of our site and make it more user friendly for the artists and public.

Matt

jeffgr
Re: Module for a multi artist/multi portfolio module
  • 2006/11/21 15:04

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I believe the module xcgallery will do most if not all of the features you have requested. I am using this module for my own local art gallery, as seen here:

http://myottawa.ca/modules/xcgal/

I have customised the presentation by changing the module templates somewhat here.

I do not allow my site users to create their own galleries, I do it all for them, as I want to maintain a consistency in the appearance of each artist's folder. Once the gallery for each artist is set up, maintenance is minimal.

jensclas

I'll second xc gallery as a choice - I use it at www.jensclassroom.com for all my art work - and you can allow users to manage their own galleries - however - and this is just a word of caution - I have not updated this module for a long time. It still runs well - but with each upgrade of XOOPS i have not tested if it is still fully functional in terms of uploading images and creating albums (The reason??? Haven't been painting lately! Life gets in the way ) I am not sure if this module is actively being developed. (but I sure hope someone is working on it as I love it)

Peekay
  • 2006/11/22 1:20

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I use the 1.RC1 version of XCgallery and it works fine with XOOPS 2.0.13.2 (which is also a stable XOOPS version... IMHO).

There is a minor code change required to get e-cards to work. See my comment in the XCgallery 1.RC1 listing in the module repository. There is also a later version of XCgallery, but I don't really know if that adds any features you might be looking for.

MyAlbum P is also very good, but it doesn't support user-created galleries or generate intermediate images, AFAIK.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

tom
  • 2006/11/22 3:07

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

mmm interesting, would you want this all in one section?

I ask as you could use a couple of modules, to achieve this.

+ XCGallery - as mentioned (based on Coppermine Gallery

XCGallery Module

Or

+ EXTGallery - although the private album feature is not yet present in this one.

EXTGallery Module

You could then use Hérvés module for user profiles

+ Userpages - I think that's the name.

User Page Module

If you want a discography module, there used to be a couple not sure how they would work with the newer versions of XOOPS though.

CD Base Module

Discography Module

And of course a web-links module to link to artists own sites, I would recommend using Hérvés version as this is more SEO friendly.

Then when a band wants to advertise their profile, they could take advantage of the XOOPS default profile page, by linking to:

http://www.your-site.org/userinfo.php?uid=<User ID>

With the new version of XOOPS coming, the profile page I believe (mods or devs please correct me if I'm wrong) will be more dynamic allowing you to create custom fields (as in XOOPS 2.2)

If you wanted a combined module, you could post a project on Xoopsforge (people bid for the project), or contact Marcan @ Smart Factory (Smart module developers). Of course this will then cost you money, when it's not necessarily needed if you go the rout above.

I hope this if of some help to you.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

jpopenstudio

Tom,

Not really sure I understand what the discography mod is for in your example.

Otherwise, I think I get it. I am going to play with it a bit before panicking and calling in the experts.

Thanks for the help!

Lance_
  • 2006/11/30 20:58

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Just for info:

At xoopslance , we are sponsoring the making of a very simple xpics module that will act as requested in the first post above, and also reworking an existing module (enterprise-x) to allow it to be used by many users to build a portfolio with different sections. I am hoping to have both modules work together.

There is not much info on them on the site, as they are being worked on now. Was hoping to get something out by Christmas.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

jpopenstudio

Lance,

Sounds very interesting. Please keep me in the loop.

Matt

jpopenstudio

Okay, I have loaded User Page and the xcgallery. But I am not sure what to do next. I can't get a gallery on the user page and am getting an error when I try to upload an image to a gallery.

Tom, you had three different modules working together in your suggestion. Could you elaborate a bit?

Matt

jensclas

WRT xcgallery what version did you download?
make sure you have set folder permissions correctly so you can upload images. Also check image sizes ect in your preferences. You can search for troubleshooting on xcgallery as many posts have been here about it in the past. And...McCleines has just updated is with this xcgallery 2.0.3 so i would keep an eye on that thread - I have not upgraded mine yet but that gives you contact with others who use the module at least

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits