tedsmith
Validation by e-mail at the registration phase
  • 2006/11/20 12:32

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

For one of my sites, the registration process currently is as follows :

1) Member pays for membership to the club
2) A spreadhseet is updated by the treasurer and he sends me a copy of it once a week
3) He sends them the URL for the XOOPS registration page
4) They register providing their e-mail address
5) I receive the authorisation e-mail
6) I check their username and e-mail against the spreadhseet
7) If they're a valid member, account is authorised
8) If not, it is denied.

I am thinking that I could import the e-mails from the spreadhseet each week into a table in the MySQL database, and then, when they register, ask XOOPS to compare the e-mail against the values imported into the table. If the e-mail is present automatically authorise the account. If it's not, tell them it's been denied and why.

But how to do it? Any ideas?

Ted

davidl2
Re: Validation by e-mail at the registration phase
  • 2006/11/20 12:34

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Think this ones been discussed only very recently - I think using Formulize was mentioned as a possibility

tedsmith
  • 2006/11/20 12:44

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

You are absolutely right. Sorry, I missed that. I will try Formulize. I really must leanr how to write my own modules. It just seems too complex to learn anything other than just the PHP code - I can't work the rest of XOOPS out! It seems that a few people require this functionality specifically though - hopefully Formulize can deliver.

The thread that David refers to is here in case anyone else was wondering the same thing.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=52268&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

davidl2
  • 2006/11/20 13:03

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I really must have an experiment with Formulise as well .. especially with the WF-Download plugin

jegelstaff
  • 2006/11/20 14:43

• jegelstaff

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
For one of my sites, the registration process currently is as follows :

2) A spreadhseet is updated by the treasurer and he sends me a copy of it once a week
3) He sends them the URL for the XOOPS registration page
4) They register providing their e-mail address
5) I receive the authorisation e-mail
6) I check their username and e-mail against the spreadhseet
7) If they're a valid member, account is authorised
8) If not, it is denied.

With the Registration Codes module, you could simplify the process to this:

2) Optional if you want an offline copy of your membership list: A spreadhseet is updated by the treasurer and he sends me a copy of it once a week
3) Treasurer sends them the URL for the XOOPS registration page, along with a registration code
4) They register using the code and provide all their details

The basic premise of the Registration Codes module is that it allows you to pre-authorize a registration instead of having to approve people after the fact. The assumption is that the code is only known by people who should know it, and so when you someone uses the code to register, you implicitly trust them and allow them into your site. Every code has an expiry date after which it does not work, and you can optionally limit the number of uses each code can have. In your case, the Treasurer could perhaps create a custom code for each individual, and set the number of uses to 1 so that it expires as soon as they create their account. That would be the most secure approach.

There are several other options in the latest version, including requiring approval even if a code is used, and allowing registrations without a code.

The module also provides you with a customized registration form that lets you display different questions to different groups of users, and also allows for private fields (like maybe their home phone number) that only admins can see, but regular users never see when they view other profiles.

And you can batch create accounts by uploading a spreadsheet of user data to your site (through the new Formulize import feature).

And you have the full suite of Formulize data analysis tools available if you want to do some reporting and calculations on your membership database.

If you have detailed usage questions, please follow up at our dev.xoops.org forums for Registration Codes and Formulize, available conveniently through this link:

http://www.freeformsolutions.ca/formulize

The latest copies of all our modules are available there. Each module has a detailed readme file that should get you started if you read it carefully.

Thanks,

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits