m0nty
Microsoft Extortion on Vista Licensing
  • 2006/10/13 13:35

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

original Article:

http://www.techspot.com/news/23197-microsoft-talks-about-vistas-new-licensing.html

If you can't wait to rush out and buy a brand new retail copy of Vista when it hits the shelves, you may want to take a look at the new licensing that Microsoft is introducing first. “Restrictive” isn't really quite the term, accurate though it would be. “Bizarre” would fit better, and some of it is outlined here. One of the oddest things is Microsof'ts stance against virtual machines. While allowing Vista Ultimate and Business to be run in a VM, all other versions are barred from it. Meaning if you are running Basic or Premium in a VM, you're violating the license.

Vista will also strip OS functionality should validation fail. What people feared with activation in XP is now coming true in Vista. The OS will periodically “validate” itself, and if it finds that you are a dirty pirate it will limit your use. It also only allows you to transfer a license once. Meaning, if you have a Vista-equipped PC and you rebuild it, you must transfer the license... and then never again can you repeat that process. Some people are used to replacing many components of their PC quite often, going through an entire rig in mere months. Enthusiasts beware.

jdseymour
Re: Microsoft Extortion on Vista Licensing

That is the biggest reason for my 100% change to Linux. Seems to me that Microsoft has gone from dominate to paranoid in their EULA methods.

m0nty
  • 2006/10/13 13:40

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

in other words guys, you can no longer upgrade your PC's.. you need to make sure your hard drive will NEVER fail, or that you never change any of the components inside your PC, unless you want to go out and have to buy a new copy of Vista everytime you upgrade your pc..

are they all on drugs at microsoft or sommat?

m0nty
  • 2006/10/13 13:42

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

yep.. well i change parts in my pc at least twice a year.. and i'll be #OOPS#ed if i'll be buying a new vista everytime i do that.. so i'll keep XP pro till it is no longer supported, or move fully over to Linux..

McNaz
  • 2006/10/13 13:55

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Monty.

Windows Vista is the best thing that will happen to the IT industry!!

Once Vista hits the shelves it will become apparent how restrictive this platform is with its built in DRM and insane licensing. Not to mention that fact that you will need tonnes of memory to run it (I saw Vista running with nothing but Process Manager and it was using around 500MB ram... compare this to a default NT4 Server using 17MB).

Couple with the fact that its only a 32bit OS as well it will be very easy to hit the 4GB memory limit with this mutation running on your machine.

Tactics such as making DX10 Vista only doesn't help either.

This might be the wakeup call that is required to show Linux as a true open alternative!

davidl2
  • 2006/10/13 13:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

That's an interesting way of looking at it :)

m0nty
  • 2006/10/13 14:15

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

I agree Naz.

the DRM is the 1 that decided for me that i wouldn't go with vista, and now that all my pc is 64bit & not 32bit is another reason.

currently i'm running XP pro, with suse 10.1 64bit as dual boot. except i can't get the #OOPS# driver to install for my broadband modem, so i'm unable to use it on the net..

McNaz
  • 2006/10/13 15:27

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

DRM = EVIL

I'm a Gentoo man myself... have it installed on five of my boxes... I continue to be surprised by what runs under WINE these days as well.

jdseymour

Quote:

McNaz wrote:
DRM = EVIL

I'm a Gentoo man myself... have it installed on five of my boxes... I continue to be surprised by what runs under WINE these days as well.

Agreed. Running Gentoo here as well. Use wine for a few items, but find Linux native replacements for most applications I need.

m0nty
  • 2006/10/13 15:40

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

do they do a 64bit version of gentoo?

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits