bumbershoot
Install OK, no menu items, admin has blank screen
  • 2006/9/21 14:03

• bumbershoot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/21

On my local Windows XP sp2 machine running IIS, PHP 4.2 (ISAPI), and MySQL 4.1, I have the following web applications working in their own subdirectories: Joomla, Gallery2, MyPhpAdmin, and Wordpress. I gave the latest XOOPs a try, and the install gave me all green lights. When I look at the database, there appears to be data. On browsing to the XOOPS main page I find no content or menu items just a header, footer, and two menu headers. If I try to go to the admin page, there is nothing but a blank screen. I have my php.ini set to show errors, and I tried running the database command to show XOOPS errors. MySQL is enabled in the php.ini (all of the other applications that use MySQL work). I set the permissions on the folders mentioned in the install to be writable by the internet guest account, and the ASP.NET and IWAM accounts have full access. The MD5 check is OK. I'm really at a loss as to what else to try. Any ideas?

jensclas
Re: Install OK, no menu items, admin has blank screen

Check the read before you post link below - it links to troubleshooting blank pages. If you can't find a solution please come back and let us know- if you installed XOOPS 2.0.15 you can also try this: (but its a wild guess!)

Quote:
Now - please note: this hasn't been fully tested as of yet, but it should sort out the problem.

I would recommend you fully backup database & site of course before usage....

Anyway - download this file - and replace the current version of /class/xoopsform/form.php with this. You will need to right click 'save as' and select all files as the file choice in order to save it as a .php file ready to upload.
HTH

bumbershoot
  • 2006/9/21 23:00

• bumbershoot

• Just popping in

Thanks for your reply jensclas. Yes, I installed 2.0.15. I've been reading over the forums in my spare time all day. All of the mysql.* items seem to be configured correctly in my php.ini. One question that I had was: Is there a setting for mysql.default_socket for windows/iis? Anyway, I've tried the code snippet for testing the database connection, and have success.

Another question that I had was, there were a few people mentioning something about getting an email from XOOPS after installation. I don't have an SMTP server setup on my network. Is this required for the site to come up?

Also, there was an article that kept being referred to which appears to have been written in 2002. One of the things that it mentions is that register_globals would have to be on. Is this true?

I gave your file a shot, but it didn't change my situation.

I guess at this point I still have more questions than answers. If you have a moment, let me know if you have any further ideas or information. Thanks.

tripmon
  • 2006/9/22 0:31

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

Hi,
There is no unique setting necessary for IIS re:mysql.

You do not need to verify an email or anything, so no worrys there.

Register Globals is now recommended off.

-----------------
Try this first....

Files integrity check

The full XOOPS package is now released with a script able to check if all the system files were correctly uploaded to the server. To use it, follow these instructions:

1. Upload the xoops_md5.php and xoops.md5 files located in the XOOPS package root to your XOOPS server folder (putting them next to mainfile.php).
2. Execute xoops_md5.php with your browser
3. If necessary, re-upload the missing or corrupted system files
4. Remove xoops_md5.php and xoops.md5 from your server

Revealing the blank page backtrace log

XOOPS displays a basic error page when a fatal error preventing it to run is encountered. To help you diagnose
the cause of the error, this page contains additional messages that are hidden by default. To reveal them, use
your browser "select all" function (for most browsers, you can use "Ctrl+A").
-----
Then post back with any additional information.

bumbershoot
  • 2006/9/22 1:44

• bumbershoot

• Just popping in

I ran xoops_md5.php, and replaced the form.php file that jensclas had pointed out. Ran xoops_md5.php again, and everything checked out.

This did not change my situation.

In frustration, I deleted the XOOPS database, and recreated it and my database user. When I tried my XOOPS installation this time, it worked. I think the difference was, last time I chose "utf8_unicode_ci" from the drop down as my character set, and this time I used the default "Collation" in phpMyAdmin. Also, I made the database name all lowercase. I noticed in phpMyAdmin, that before even though the database name was all caps, it would sometimes be referred to in lowercase.

Thank you both again for your help.

*Goes off to play*

Login

Who's Online

577 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 577

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits