cjtinkle
Backing it all up
  • 2006/8/22 12:15

• cjtinkle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/8 1

I've read the FAQ's and tried to grasp it all, but I don't think I did :).

My host uses Control Panel(CPanel) 10.8.2-RELEASE 119, which has the option to generate a full site backup, which I do once a week.

My question is, does this back up everything, anyone know? My database, my modules, themes, xoops, etc?

thanks,
CJ

kurak_bu
Re: Backing it all up
  • 2006/8/22 13:10

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

could you just look at the bacup up which you did? Look at the files, check the size. if there are only sql files it mean this is DB backup, if there are files from XOOPS you can be sure its full-account backup

cjtinkle
  • 2006/8/22 13:40

• cjtinkle

• Just popping in

It's 45 megs (site is fairly new), but I don't about the files included in the backup, as it's a *.tar.gz file. Not sure how to open that type of file.

kurak_bu
  • 2006/8/22 14:18

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

if its 45 MB it cant be only database files, its full-site backup. tar.gz is a linux archive. you can open it through winrar, if your site crash (i dont wish it) give the newest backup in tar.gz to your server admin and tell him : here is backup, plz restore my account : heheh

cjtinkle
  • 2006/8/22 14:22

• cjtinkle

• Just popping in

thank you so much! I will download a copy of WinRar so I can peek at the files myself (ongoing learning process here :) ).

Each time I make a backup, I've kept a file on the server, as well as downloading it to my computer, plus backing it up to my back up drive.

I've also download the files that you can restore yourself without the server admin, so hopefully I'm covering my bases, one of them should work in the event of a disaster eh? :)

kurak_bu
  • 2006/8/22 14:28

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

keep it up! backup is needed! I'm doing like You but i'm also sending it to my email
you can be interested in :
http://www.phpmybackuppro.net/

cjtinkle
  • 2006/8/22 14:39

• cjtinkle

• Just popping in

that looks like a very helpful tool, I will download it and give it try, thank you for all your assistance :).

kurak_bu
  • 2006/8/22 16:26

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

no problemo boss
you can also interest in Cron Jobs, cron tabs, in cpanel there is cron. it can run any script at any time. its very good tool, you dont need to remember daily copy just set cron jobs, it will make backup auto.

n01un0
  • 2006/8/22 18:30

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

just my 2 cents...

This is another nice FREE program that works great and you can auto set crone job to do the backups.

http://tufat.com/s_mybackup_web_database_exporter.htm

jordi_rc
  • 2006/8/24 20:28

• jordi_rc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/21

Hello!

I use Xubuntu as operative system. Xubuntu is an easy version of Debian Linux:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Uses very few resources so you can run a server in graphic desktop mode or run it in text mode if your pc is hardware limited.

Xampp is a mixture of Apache+MySQL+Perl+PhP. You just have to unzip it to get all working.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

I try to run my own server this way, and at the moment it seems to be going well.
How can I, in my situation, save all my server data. I mean, all the MySQL XOOPS database, the entire site, etc.

I saw that there is a module called "XOOPS DB Backup & Restore 3.0". This does the job??

Is there a simple and manual way to do this?
As I can access my server machine, I can copy or backup all directly. What is the way to make the backup? How often do you recommend me to backup the information?

Thanks for your help!

Jordi
"Battles are fought by those with the courage to believe. They are won by those who find the heart to share." -MANOWAR

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits