MorelyDotes
Files only available to Webmaster: PDdownloads 1.2, XOOPS 2.0.14

Recently updated our production site to XOOPS 2.0.14, and PDdownloads to 1.2

Now all of the files placed for download are available to the Webmaster group only; or, if I make one available to all groups and categories, then it's available. But there's nothing in between!

I have about ten groups, with the same number of corresponding categories (e.g., the Engineering user group contains 3 users, and there is an Engineering category in PDdownloads which *should* be visible only to Engineering, according to all the settings in PDdownloads). However, unless I make the category available to all groups, only Webmasters can see that the category even exists. If I limit the category to Webmasters and Engineering, *only* Webmasters can see the category.

As a result, there are no categories visible to anyone except Webmasters (or all categories are visible to everyone, which is unacceptable).

Since this site is used to send large files ( >= 10 MB ) to our vendors for quotes, or for production if they win the bid, it is critical that Vendor A cannot see files meant for Vendor B and so forth. Ideally, we'd prefer that Vendor A not even see that there's a category for Vendor B.

So, have I done something unbelievably stupid, or is PDdownloads 1.2 buggier than I think it is? PDdownloads 1 was just fine, as far as I know.

I am going to remove PDdownloads 1.2 from our test server and re-install 1 to see if that fixes the problem. I'll check back here later to see if anyone has comments that may help.

krobi
Re: Files only available to Webmaster: PDdownloads 1.2, XOOPS 2.0.14
  • 2006/8/17 19:52

• krobi

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/21

hm would be great if i could see this on the server myself, is every user only in one group or and many groups?

hopefull there is possibilty to test this in your test-server. put the most popular problem is that the users are in more than a group then permissions system have its problems with it - when it is so its the best way to move the user only to one group and remove it from the others.
Developer of PD-Modules like PD-Downloads and PD-Links.
Webmaster of Power-Dreams.com

jensclas

I don't know about PD downloads - but try smartfactory and give the wf downloads a try - you could also check out their other modules. They have a good rep for keeping modules going.

MorelyDotes

Quote:

krobi wrote:
hm would be great if i could see this on the server myself, is every user only in one group or and many groups?

hopefull there is possibilty to test this in your test-server. put the most popular problem is that the users are in more than a group then permissions system have its problems with it - when it is so its the best way to move the user only to one group and remove it from the others.

That was exactly the problem, krobi, vielen dank!

When I removed everyone from "registered users" and put them each into the appropriate single group (e.g., all my Engineering staff are in the Engineering group only, each of my vendors is in a group assigned to his company, and so on), the problem went away.

I first tried it on the test server and it worked, so I then reinstalled PDdownloads 1.2 on the production server and made the same changes - and all my problems (well, the problems related to this ) are gone!

krobi
  • 2006/8/17 20:51

• krobi

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/21

thats great to hear, i will post it on the offiziel pd-module support forum on www.power-dreams.com so every user can fix this problem if someone have the same as you.

we will also look into a "real" solution for that.
Developer of PD-Modules like PD-Downloads and PD-Links.
Webmaster of Power-Dreams.com

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits