eddie123
Using Xoops with DSL and dynamic IPs with DYNDNS and port redirection services
  • 2006/8/15 4:43

• eddie123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/17

I am going to try to define clearly the proper setup of DYNDNS.org's custom DNS services with port redirection for IIS and Xoops. I had a considerable amount of trouble with XOOPS using DYNDNS services and IIS and after finally figuring it all out I thought I would share this info.

This method allows you to use a cheap DSL line with dynamic IP addressing and setup a website with a XOOPS backend and route just fine if you follow the following procedures.

This is very handy as DSL packages with IP addresses are more expensive and with this method you can really save some money and get XOOPS working correctly. I pay 24 dollars a month for 6MB down and 608 up and I have 3 XOOPS websites for different domains on one static IP address.

First install XOOPS on your server as you normally would.

Second go tohttp://www.DYNDNS.org and get your domain or transfer your domain to them and buy the custom DNS services for the domain. It’s cheap and well worth it.

Logon to DYNDNS.org and go to my services. Select Custom DNS link for yourdomain.

Set the DYNDNS.org custom DNS web interface preference to standard not expert. This will allow you to use the wizards and make it simple to follow these directions

Setup the domain by adding an "A" Record of yourdomain.com
Then add a CNAME record of www.yourdomain.com alias to yourdomain.com.

Download the DNS client update software athttp://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Install the software and set it to install as a service or to start with Windows. Open the settings and go to groups tab and click the ADD button. Pick a name for the group then fill out the form and type in your DYNDNS account info in and then click the ADD button. Enter the hostname like this www2.yourdomain.com. Select "custom" under the System selection and them hit ok.. Make sure you use only the WWW2 host name and no others.

Once this is done set up your IIS website server to use a different port other than port 80 such as port 3193 or another you prefer. For a list of ports you can use go herehttp://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/
If you have a firewall then you need to open the port you changed the web server to.

At the bottom of the DYNDNS custom DNS interface is a link for "add new mywebhop". Click that link and select port redirection. Add the port you set up for your web server. DO NOT USE THE CLOAKING OR MASKING OPTION just add the new port number.

You will notice a new entry into the custom DNS of an "A" record WWW2.yourdomain.com and the IP address of yourdomain will have changed to 63.208.196.110.

Edit your mainfile.php and change the define('XOOPS_URL, - I use port 3193 as an example. Use the port you set your web server for.

Example
define('XOOPS_URL, "http://www2.yourdomain.com:3193/xoops')'
Save file - you may need to change the read only property of the file to save it. Once it is saved make it read only again.

It will take a while for the new domain and port redirection to populate across the Internet's DNS world however this will work if you follow this procedure.

Note - The reason you have to change the web server port from port 80 to another is that the DSL router is where the dynamic IP address resides and the server address is most likely private IP addressing such as 10.0.0.x. XOOPS for some reason will not allow new users to register if the IPs don’t jive.. I have tried for numerous hours to get it to work on port 80 using DSL and a dynamic IP with DYNDNS.org and it will not work. XOOPS will not allow new users to register unless you set it up this way.

This method works flawlessly. Enjoy and I hope this helps someone to save some money and enjoy Xoops....

Eddie123

claywight
Re: Using Xoops with DSL and dynamic IPs with DYNDNS and port redirection services
  • 2006/8/24 14:34

• claywight

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/19

I would use zoneedit.com. They let you have up to 5 domains. They are really easy to use. Free for one thing.

Herko
Re: Using Xoops with DSL and dynamic IPs with DYNDNS and port redirection services
  • 2006/8/24 14:44

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Thanks for the great article! (Could someone add this to the FAQ?)

Herko

leostotch
  • 2006/8/24 16:12

• leostotch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/1 1

Quote:
Could someone add this to the FAQ?

Forgive me for my stupidity, but could anybody please re-explain me what FAQ means ?

I used to believe the F letter meant "Frequently", but here the FAQ contains 500 questions, with a bit of everything in them, and it seems a good idea to add articles that are more related to DyNDNS than to XOOPS in it, so I must admit I'm a bit lost...

Alan-A
  • 2006/8/25 5:40

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Very Interesting!
However, does anyone have any experience of how this type of adressing affects your SEO?
Regards,
Alan

jensclas

Hi Herko, and Eddie

Quote:
Thanks for the great article! (Could someone add this to the FAQ?)

IMHO Faq is for frequently asked questions. I believe this is a wonderful tutorial and support document and as such would be much better placed here at the xoopsdocs site under the area of 'extras'. This is why the documentation workspace has been designed in this way.

I encourage you Eddie to take look and a plunge into placing your how to in there under 'articles'. Pretty please??? If you haven't got time let me know and I will see if I can find the time to a copy and paste on it.

Cheers

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits