dummy_13
How to highlight terms&definitions in content ?
  • 2006/8/11 7:08

• dummy_13

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/11

I'm looking for solution which is able to highlight the predefined words (which has entry in glossay/dictionary/wordbook) with a link to glossary, in any type of content. Competitors (i.e. drupal) call this function "filter".

dummy_13
Re: How to highlight terms&definitions in content ?
  • 2006/8/11 11:13

• dummy_13

• Just popping in

nobody nowhere ???

dummy_13
  • 2006/8/12 20:18

• dummy_13

• Just popping in

PLEASE !
If the answer is : "it is impossible in Xoops" . it's OK, I see, but the answer "not" is much more better than this nothing.

jensclas

well - I simply don't have an answer that is straight forward and easy..I don't know enough about how content works. However a creative solution might be to install the dictionary module (search module repository) and put your terms and definitions in there. When you use a term or defintion in you content use it with a link to the dictionary entry. This is amnaula and labor intensive way to do it but it is the best I can think of.

The other is to use a wiki kind of program. I have no idea how it is done but with it, certain words come up highlighted when you type them. For example when writing 'xoops' in a doc there is an automatic change to XOOPSand when you hover over it it gives you the full term for the acronym - you see a little question mark and the therm shows up. Check it here. You can also see 'greeen' words. These have links to words defined in the dictionary of this wiki...so there are functions in this I know about but I don;t know enough to explain to you how to set them up or make them work except through the 'defintion' link approach mentioned above.

BTW...I am not one to take no for an answer on something like this...I am a bit more enterprising than that...I look for a way of doing it

tcnet
  • 2006/8/12 23:56

• tcnet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/5/12

The Wordbook module will display glossary links in it's descriptions(articles). It does so by comparing every word in the glossary to every term in the description. This causes a heavy server load with a large glossary of terms. Wordbook will not create links in content from other modules. The module seems to be inactive as it has not been updated in over a year.

phppp
  • 2006/8/13 2:06

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

dummy_13 wrote:
Competitors (i.e. drupal) call this function "filter".

We call it filter and highlighter

Make your request clear: r u looking for the technique or the feature?

dummy_13
  • 2006/8/13 7:07

• dummy_13

• Just popping in

Thx4all, just a clarification:
I need a feature (or even a technique, just the same), which will automatically highlight those words in any contents (of course with link to the full definition), which words are defined somewhere (of course just at time of showing the content, not at the creation). No matter how we call the place of definition: vocabulary, dictionary, wordbook, glossary. An example: I define what is "xoops", with a detailed description (i.e. in a glossary module). Than anybody anytime in any type of content will use the word "xoops", it will be dislayed with a link to the definition.
I think it is same as in wiki, but I'd like to use it globally, site-wide, not only in wiki-topics.

irmtfan
  • 2006/8/13 11:26

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:
it is same as in wiki, but I'd like to use it globally, site-wide, not only in wiki-topics.

No, this is not same as wiki.
in wiki you MUST have a specific pattern to show a word as a link. eg: Xoops

but in the wordbook module you simply wrote a word and the module automatically change it to a link IF THERE IS A DEFINITION.

but this module have some lacks specially in persian language and i think any langauge that dont have boundry.

also there is a module called "Xwords" that i saw in a japanease website.

dummy_13
  • 2006/8/13 20:56

• dummy_13

• Just popping in

thank you irmtfan, you're right, it is not like wiki beacuse of automation.
I checked wordbook module, it does not highlight the defined words in the contents (checked with "content" and "news"). Is it normal, or I failed something ?

(the idea about xwords sound great - but my japanese is not good enough at this late night hours... )

irmtfan
  • 2006/8/14 2:48

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Yep,
wordbook just works in its own definitions.

there is no module in XOOPS that can works in the other modules.

if you want so, you must hack the system.

also i think it cause a Heavy Heavy load in cpu.

Xwords is a developed version of wordbook and nothing more

Login

Who's Online

73 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 73

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits