jensclas
What is your best module/method for backing up?

Hi everyone
I am very concious of the need to 'backup' your site before you do anything and have looked through the FAQ's and find it all just a bit confusing for newbies...so..what I would like to know is assuming the user is a total newbie what modules (if any) would you recomend for using as a tool to backup a XOOPS site.

If you prefer your php myadmin/mysql approach please explain what you do.

I promise a backup/restore doc for newbies will result from your input!

kurak_bu
Re: What is your best module/method for backing up?
  • 2006/8/5 22:27

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

hi, I'm using this module:
https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=17&lid=1115
if I make a backup from phpmyadmin i go there and then -> select database -> export DB -> I select all tables, i select write to file and press Export! I'm waiting one moment and i have whole .sql file on my desktop. That's all

jdseymour

I basically use MySQL command line and cron for my backups. See these articles:

Regular Database Backup with Cron

And

Mysql Database Restore

For files I synchronize with my FTP program when files change (which only happens when hacking, updating, or adding/removing of modules.

HTH.

jensclas

Thanks Karak BU

I didn't know this module existed...

Does this just back up your database? What about all the files? (that is I think we need to back up all files and data don't we?)

Hi john

I have read these articles and have a question since I have c panel - why wouldn't you just use the cpanel backup module? (I notice my host says this: Quote:
Note: You cannot restore these backups, they can only be restored by your administrator.
and they are really helpful...so as a 'noob' I am inclined to want to use that module in cpanel to create a backup file that they can use to restore my site (if that's how it works) because it seems easy...

But I also know it might not be the best since it puts the restore control in their hands...i may be answering my own question here

I am going to have a go at a cron job script too...!

MadFish
  • 2006/8/6 7:31

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

One thing - it is important to test that your backup procedure actually works before relying on it!

Sometimes it doesn't (for example, I had problems with restoring the files from teh backup module, and even with PHPMyAdmin sometimes).

svaha
  • 2006/8/6 9:42

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

I agree with you Madfish, and even more, I test it regular, if it works the first time that doesn't mean it will work forever as I found out just lately.

I make a regular backup of all my sites with phpmyadmin.
You have to look here what the limit is that can be restored. For instance : When your database is 25 Mb and the restore of your host is limited to 10 Mb, you have to split your backup into smaller parts.

Then I use the backup program of my hosts to make a backup of all the files, that's a tar.gz file. I don't do this often it's a 250 Mb file.

Normally I sync the sites with ftp.

At one of my own computers I have a mirror of all my sites running on xampp. The server has 4 hard disks with a raid 5.

I also make regular backups from my 'home' system with a backup program and with xcopy.

Overdone? No, my experience over the years is, that you have to do this, otherwise Murphy will get you
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

MadFish
  • 2006/8/6 13:33

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Doesn't sound overdone to me :) I'm all in favour of having multiple backup copies, stored in separate physical locations. Once a week our computer guy produces a DVD backup of our site which I take home and store in a time series folder in my house (he has his own backup, but I like to have my own because hey, what happens if he gets cranky one day and torches everything?).

By way of horror stories, a large government computer agency we occasionally work with lost their whole system last year - more than a terrabyte of data - from a lightning strike to their building, which (they discovered) was inadequately shielded.

They said their UPSs exploded and every computer in the building was destroyed...including their network storage/backup. Ouch.

neill
  • 2006/8/6 14:37

• neill

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/23

i'll also like to know an effective upload folder backup, incase some hacker delete all your files

MadFish
  • 2006/8/6 15:30

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

To fully backup a XOOPS site you need to back up:

1. The database.
2. The file structure.
3. The templates (if you have customized them).

In answer to your question (2), just download all the files for your site and stick it on a CD as well. Regularly, of course :)

OldFriend
  • 2006/8/6 16:47

• OldFriend

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/28

I find that the Protector module (everybody has this installed, right?) is good for backing up the database before making any major changes.

Admin->Modules->Protector->Prefix Manager

allows you to create a copy of all of your tables with a different Prefix.

Then make your changes, if you stuff somethin up then you can easily switch to use your DB copies.

Login

Who's Online

108 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 108

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits