solo71
Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/7/26 17:44

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Ok, back to topic now. There are some interesting ideas arising.

I personnaly defend the position of havint at least some modules included in the Core, because I believe it is as dumb as delivering an empty packet. What would you think if I sell you a car with just an engine and four wheels?

I don't think the core package has to be updated each and every time a core module knows some changes. We have some very good and stable enough modules out there who could suit perfectly... for staters. Think about how many people have used the old core module for years...

Having a 6 pack module wouldn't hurt, and would encourage the starter to carry on with Xoops.

Bender
  • 2006/7/26 17:58

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

For the sake of argument lets assume for a short moment we would create a modules package. (don´t even talk about which modules just say 4-6 modules)

Would there be at least two individuals who would be willing to maintain this package in a responsible way and be trusted to not drop out after 2 month?
(clearly some coding skills regarding XOOPS would be required)

Is there anyone who would even consider doing this around?[/b]
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

kris_fr
  • 2006/7/26 18:39

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

Hello, bonjour,

Long debate, and a lot off to clicks of keyboard….

For my part, I am for a distribution of the core only… with some quasi indissociable modules like contact and xoopsmembers.

In the article presenting the version of the core and in the readme (or lisezmoi) included in the file of the core, I will see a small paragraph indicating well the names and the composition of packs of modules “must” according to the destination of the site (and small disclaimer for saying that there is full with other modules on the national supports web sites).

To make short, I will say that with the installation of xoops, instead of finding itself in front of a page without contents, we could find a page presenting the cms, the links for the packs of modules (with load of the various linguistic supports to bring up to date this page as well as the translation of the core), best themes, and the links to the support (forum) xoops.org and forum of the local support.

To ++

PS: the idea of the last paragraph is practical for a diffusion of promotion of XOOPS via media (Cd of the magazines for example)

Lance_
  • 2006/7/26 18:54

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

Bender wrote:
For the sake of argument lets assume for a short moment we would create a modules package. (don´t even talk about which modules just say 4-6 modules)

Would there be at least two individuals who would be willing to maintain this package in a responsible way and be trusted to not drop out after 2 month?
(clearly some coding skills regarding XOOPS would be required)

Is there anyone who would even consider doing this around?[/b]

I can take half the ball and roll with it.

I'd love to get a couple of packs done, setup and manage demo sites with the packages.

And in the process let those active members already occupied into updating the xoops.org site to get it done.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

mattlay
  • 2006/7/26 19:48

• mattlay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/21

I brought this up on another thread just this week. It would make life increadibly easier for the end user. I know it is a little ways off. But to impliment such a system would be great!

giba
  • 2006/7/27 13:01

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

The Experience.

Poll for Core Modules

This is one test for vote and approve modules.

If your preference module is not poll, please, comments.

No register for vote.

Swain
  • 2006/7/27 16:55

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I have an idea, probably not a popular one as it creates more work. But what about offering different packages of XOOPS core with specialize module packages? The idea being the developers take the most popular business modules, package them in a XOOPS business edition? One could do the same with say a club edition, gaming edition, and so forth. Now I know this would make a lot of work, so perhaps a better idea is keep modules out of core, but offer packages of such modules, i.e. a business package of the most popular modules, a gaming package, club package, church package and so forth.

Lance_
  • 2006/7/27 17:07

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

I would suggest the following.

One main module pack. All sites require the same 80-90% of functions. So the main pack contains News, Article, HTML/PHP/WRAP Content, Forum, etc to debate.

The reason for this is to have 1 pack with the main modules keeping it easier to manage. Mith had some of the same modules in all the packs which can then get time consuming to update.

We can then create Addon module packs containing the specific modules required for different types of site, like the gaming, church, portal, music, ecommerce etc...

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

davidl2
  • 2006/7/27 17:12

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Definately NOT a good idea to bundle Core + Modules ... it would require a very hefty download - and much more updating ....

giba
  • 2006/7/27 17:38

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Definately NOT a good idea to bundle Core + Modules ... it would require a very hefty download - and much more updating ....

I agree David, but and mod_pack-2.14 - core modules (modules, modules and modules )

If new version 2.0.15 for example, new module pack too mod_pack-2.0.15

Poll for your vote please

I go to create module pack for brazilian USERS, no problem

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits