tjmichner
Looked at documentation - searcned the net - looking to cusotmize
  • 2006/7/15 12:45

• tjmichner

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/22

I have searched the net and the documentation and I am not finding what I am looking for...I love the XOOPS content management but I need opportunity on some of the pages to be more wisywig. For example, the first page I would like to have the navigation and the user sign in but the rest I would like to be open for me to lay out the page as I have in my current website which does not fit a layout example from xoops. This is the sort of layout (not the colors) that I am following.http://www.channel933.com/main.html.

Where can I detailed find information about customizing layouts particulary if there is information on wisywig layout for images. I have seen articles about wisywig but they seem to be talking about aspects of wisywig that I dont need.

Any direction, assistance or direction to a FAQ article would be great.

Thank you very much!

jensclas
Re: Looked at documentation - searcned the net - looking to cusotmize

Hi
I don't know that you will find the answer in one specific document. Because there are so many variables and options it would be impossble without writing a book. However the basics are that There are three ways to 'customise' your XOOPS website - Modules, blocks and themes.

Modules - you can select a variety to suit you here and some come with wysiwyg editors. There are modules for all kinds of purposes too - so you need to spend some time checking them out. You can do this by visiting XOOPS sites, ising our module repository and googling for XOOPS modules. However, because we are open source there are some modules that are no longer in development - check out the modules section of the FAQ for a 'how to chose a module' post. There are wysiwyg modules and image modules you can install to your site as well.

Blocks - these are the bits you choose from a module to make visible or invisible on your site to selected users. You choose where to position them - left, right, center, main page or not. For more help on this go to the FAQ section on blocks and the admin manual from the documentation link.

Themes - now here is where you can really have fun! Some are 3 colum, some 2, some have tabbed indexes across the top and some don't...there are loads to choose from and when you get clever you can tinker with them to suit yourself and change colours, fonts, backgrounds etc. Once again there is support in FAQ and the admin manual. You will find XOOPS themes here and in a gogle search.

You can also wrap html pages - I don't do this but there is an FAQ on this - you will find it in beginners first steps.

So...what should you do??? Give yourself time. Don't play on a live site - create a local install of a XOOPS site (also in the FAQ's) and simply play! Runs asearch on wysiwyg here and look at forum questions about editors.

Play to your hearts content till you find the modules and theme you need. Use the FAQ's, click on xopsers sites and see what they do, use the links in the FAQ's to the module playground etc...

Oh...and if you like the sound or look of a module...use search here to find out more information on it...it's good to research the how do i...or what is wrong with... questions before you get caught out.

HTH

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits