wizanda
Ok I have to modules 2 release and would like to do it correctly
  • 2006/5/17 6:10

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Could some of you run me through what i will need to do, to release these module correctly.
If they are GPL or freesoftware...
I do first need permission from the authors? .....
(still waiting )

Next what is the easiest way to upload the files?

Why when I press submit on downloads on here, does it say I don't have permission ....(am I missing something or am I not in a Group that allows it?)

Please help as I have a full functional theme changing multisearch with wild card KJV bible and lexicons....Demo on my site while waiting for permission to release..and Gabbly Chat which is just an Iframe of their Chat system....

So I want to release these, yet i also want to do it properly...The bible works fine.. yet i would like one error remove that may means it goes on development, which would mean I definitly need permission rights?
Yet it is fit a beta and ready for production sites as it is on mine and I am happy.

So please Help as I have know idea with GPL GNU, I know we can have it for free to begin, yet what happens in this situation when you wish to re-release it as a more refined peiece of software?

wizanda
Re: Ok I have to modules 2 release and would like to do it correctly
  • 2006/5/17 6:14

• wizanda

• Home away from home

p.s
The typo in the title of this thread, is to mean getting it in the right order..

jensclas

* Bump*

Wizanda is really excited - can anyone help herhim get his modules out? Thanks

Sorry!

wizanda
  • 2006/5/18 20:41

• wizanda

• Home away from home

thanxz, him, he,
male!

oops

tom
  • 2006/5/19 1:11

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I have no idea how the XOOPS management team are working now with regards to uploads, but might be worth asking them.

Any way, the other way to release them is to package them up, upload them to your own webserver/webspace, and create a news article on here linking to them for people to download, you could either direct link or use a module like wfdownloads, which would allow u better control.

If you don't want to use your own server, then please contact me I could host them for you. if you wish then Private Message me on here.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

wizanda
  • 2006/5/19 6:52

• wizanda

• Home away from home

Bender
  • 2006/5/19 10:50

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

wizanda wrote:
Could some of you run me through what i will need to do, to release these module correctly.
If they are GPL or freesoftware...
I do first need permission from the authors? .....
(still waiting )

1. Are you the author or not? I am not clear on this.
If you modified existing stuff then it depends on the license they were originally released under.

2. Make your decision about the license before you publish them because it might not be too easy to change it later

3. *cosmetic* Before you distribute it think about the filename. There is kinda defacto standard for XOOPS modules:
xoops2_modulename_version.extension

4. Get some people to test it before you release it. Ask for beta testers if needed. Does your package include some documentation? Was it tested with different XOOPS versions? Do you use compatible SQL code(downwards to version 3 or 4)?

5. Contact the guys from the module repository to publish it here, e.g. bluenova. (additionally make a news submit)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

wizanda
  • 2006/5/19 10:55

• wizanda

• Home away from home

wow thxz a guide...
ok will think about it and do beta's through my site, fed up of the modules we have on here.... as most have easy fixes in...So yeh spend time before putting it on here is a must...maybe a must to go back over what is already there as many are messy...

Thank you very much again

raygauci
  • 2006/5/19 12:26

• raygauci

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/16

Thanks Wizanda for doing these modules. We need people like you to make XOOPS better. Take note of what Bender said in this post to avoid some unnecessary implications. I would be glad to test you 2 modules for you.

Keep up the good work for G.

Ray

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits