Quest
Re: 2.2.4 "Module for your Start Page" error Pls help before I go nuts!!!
  • 2006/4/27 12:29

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Quote:

sskhalid wrote:
Hi JD/Quest,

All I want is to have some blocks ONLY appear when I first visit the site e.g. www.mysite.com/ (index page) and NOT appear on any other pages.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

As JD said. If you are going to use Articles as your starting page then you must have the blocks you wish to display on that page set in the Blocks Admin, edit portion of the blocks you want to display. By default the Top Page is the www.mysite.com/index.php. But because you have the starting page as Articles then a visitor is redirected to www.mysite.com/modules/articles/index.php. So you have to set your blocks to be visible in Blocks Admin by going to edit for the block you wish to display and ensuring Articles is Highlighted.

I hope I explained that okay.

QuestI apologize. I fogot which version you are using. Forget about the part where I say "Edit Portion". Just make sure Articles is highlighted where you have Top Page highlighted....

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 13:29

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/18

Quest,

The problem is that Articles has only two places in which I can make the blocks visible e.g. :

Visible In:

Articles
- All Module Pages
- Archive

Whereas Article has the following Blocks

AMS Spotlight
Big Story
Highest Rated Articles
New Topics
ETC ETC

I cannot select any of these blocks in the 'Visible In' field. So I have to select 'All Module Pages', which means that if I click the submit article link from menu, and the add new article page appears, I can STILL see the surrounding blocks (that I made visible in All Module Pages in Articles).

Quest
  • 2006/4/27 13:35

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

Have you looked in the Add Blocks Pull Down Menu in the top left of your Blocks Admin? Are those other block titles there? If they are then you will need to Add them and then you should be able to make the necessary changes for which ones you want viewed and where.

Also-are you using a custom template or the default template set?

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 13:45

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

Yep, they are all in the 'Add Blocks' Pull down menu. The strange thing is , the BLOCK/PAGE/MODULE I set as the starting page in the System->General Preferences does not have a corresponding block in the Add BLocks pull down menu (and also not in the 'visible in' field.)

A very strange problem indeed. I just need someone to confirm that on APache/PHP/Mysql setup All TOP PAGE blocks are still visible even if we have a starting module.

EDIT:

Yes, we are usign the standard/default template set

(but using a different theme)

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 14:03

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

The CTRL + Visible in "Top Page", "Articles->Archive" thingy does not work for me.

Still it's a bit annoying/confusing - Top Page blocks should be shown DEVOID of the fact that there is a starting module or not. I think I don't have any other solution, other than to make all top page modules to be visible in Articles->All Modules. I am quite sure this used to work ok (still works ok in my local dev environment on apache) on the production server. But something changed on the server (e.g. php settings, dont know) and it stopped showing all top page modules.

Quest
  • 2006/4/27 14:44

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

Two Things.

First: If you only want some blocks to show-up on your starting page... Then set your Start Page to None and click GO. Then make sure you add any blocks to your blocks admin from the Add Blocks pull down menu. After the blocks are added to the Blocks Admin set the ones you want to visible and select/highlight where you want them visible, ie; Top Page.

Second:

I think there is a confusion as to Blocks and Module.

I don't use the Articles module right now but from what you tell me here is how it is.

The Articles module on a fresh install has one page. Archive. (Later on it may have more as you use it and develop it), but for now it has ONE page.

Now. You have to add the Blocks to your blocks admin (which came with the Articles Module). To do this Select the Block or Blocks from the Add Blocks Pull Down menu in the Blocks Admin and click ADD. (You may have to do it for each one of the blocks you want to add to your Blocks Admin).

Okay, now you have the blocks added to your blocks admin. But they can be viewed anywhere yet, they are just there available for when you and where you tell them to show up.

So now you have to select them to be visible and the highlight where you want them to be visible and click Submit. Do this for all you want and where. Or one at a time. Clicking SUBMIT. Then they should show up. Some blocks won't show though until you actually have a topic/article. For example Recent Articles may not show until there is a Recent Article or Latest Article Published.

Either way you must add the blocks to your blocks admin. Then select where you want them to display.

Also, Do You Have the Update Template/Html in your General Preferences set to YES????

m0nty
Re: "Module for your Start Page" error Pls help before I go nuts!!! - UPDATED
  • 2006/4/27 16:00

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

or use the actual recommended version of XOOPS 2.0.13.2 instead of the newer version which it says is not recommended.. problem solved then..

it could be that some of those modules don't work with it or are affecting it somehow.

sskhalid
  • 2006/4/27 19:59

• sskhalid

• Just popping in

Yep - saw another user saying 2.2.4 is a leap backwards in time. If that was the case, they shouldn't have branded it as 'RELEASE' . 2.2.4 > 2.0.x , or am I the only crazy bugger to think that higher versions are latest releases rather than the other way around. I downloaded from sourceforge.net DIRECTLY even before I visited www.xoops.org . The 2.2.4 version there is not labeled as beta , or alpha etc - its a RELEASE version for crying out loud (Now they tell me).

I now think it's better to go back to 2.0.x instead of this one, but have no idea how to do the migration (my clients are going to be REALLY pissed off now). I've got loads of articles, posts etc that I will need to copy over into 2.0.x. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this ?

jensclas

Hi m8

I am not going to recomend one way or another what you do. However I do recomend you read This thread. You will see there are differing views on the 'step backward', lots of defnce of the 2.2 version and why it has a use even if it is not as 'stable' as 2.0 and a link for a 'downgrade script' which for at least one person caused a problem when downgrading from 2.2.4 possibly because it was written for 2.2.3 You will need to make your own decision based on the info available and your need to serve your clients. This thread here may also clue you up in making the decision. If you want more do a search on 'downgrade' and 'downgrading'. I found the two threads i gave you with the former.

HTH

PS...you are not the only crazy bugger to be confused.

jdseymour

Quote:

sskhalid wrote:
The CTRL + Visible in "Top Page", "Articles->Archive" thingy does not work for me.

Still it's a bit annoying/confusing - Top Page blocks should be shown DEVOID of the fact that there is a starting module or not. I think I don't have any other solution, other than to make all top page modules to be visible in Articles->All Modules. I am quite sure this used to work ok (still works ok in my local dev environment on apache) on the production server. But something changed on the server (e.g. php settings, dont know) and it stopped showing all top page modules.

Let me try to explain this another way. The default start page ishttp://www.yoursite.com/index.php. This is the page that is referred to as the top page in the blocks Admin.

If you choose to use a module as your start page you are automatically sent tohttp://www.yoursite.com/modules/whatervermodule .

This means that you are not on the top page which is index.php, you are using a module page for your startpage so you need to set the blocks to the module in question. You cannot, yet, select individual pages within the module, only module wide for the block.

HTH.

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits