Re: Xoops Roadmap 2.3 - 2.4 - 3.0 ?
  • 2006/3/30 19:24

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/4 1

Quote:

silvrhand wrote:
Wow..

Another "Devs need to communicate" better thread. This will go nowhere as it has in the past as this thread has been brough up at least 6 times.

Almost done with my joomla conversion, so I won't have to see threads like this much longer.

it isn't only that... are lots of stuff.. this one is only one thing, that we want more...

and if you read well my post, you will see...

But, in other hand, your commentary are absolut unnecessary..
Marco Sousa
https://www.gaap.dev

maxpt
  • 2006/3/30 19:29

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/4 1

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Max: when the 2.3 code is ready for collaboration, you will be able to get involved. Development on a scale such as Skalpa is doing takes time, and a LOT of preparations. You see, the version he's developing is not adding new features to the existing version (like XOOPS 2.2 is), but a complete rearchitecting of the core and codes. Before anyone can start working on that, the foundations must be there, and they must be stable enough to build upon.

Kind of like building a house on soft ground...

Herko

and this new version will not make the same mistakes that 2.2?

1) The developement not organized
And this originates Bugs, lates.. and more, more stuff.

With some comunication we can prevent the same miskates..
Marco Sousa
https://www.gaap.dev

rowdie
  • 2006/3/30 21:37

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Skalpa has already committed a huge amount of code, I don't understand why people are still complaining that there are no changes... I can't believe they've actually looked.
I didn't have the luxury of a guided tour which the french team had, and I haven't seen what they've seen, but just looking at and working with what *is* available tells me enough.

Some of the enhancements I've seen and used:
- Completely new theming engine - templates are no longer stored in the database, but read from file (cache). The system first checks if a module template exists in your theme directory, if it doesn't then it uses the default module template. This means there's no need to update modules, upload template files or edit templates online to make the changes display, as long as the site is in development mode.

- Smarty template engine optimised -> Skalpa made changes to Smarty itself to make it faster. He's passed the changes on to the Smarty dev team.

- New default theme, standards compliant and illustrating how to use the new templating features.

- a number of core components have been modulised... for devs this is exciting, as it's cleaner and easier to work with and will ultimately make community code contribution easier... but for end users I guess there's not much obvious benefit yet.

- write-enabled directories are able to be located outside web-accessable directory.

- PHP notices about references should all have been removed finally (a huge task in itself, dozens (hundreds?) of lines of code needed to be 'fixed')

- a brand new admin plugin system. I've only seen part of this code, but I've seen screenshots of it in action and it's very impressive.

- Boot sequence optimized, only loading what's necessary - making page load times faster.

- preparing for PDO support (i.e. soon will be able to use databases other than mysql)

- backwards compatibility is maintained for every new feature

All new features are documented. Skalpa has also spent a lot of time designing a new phpDocs API template, and enhancing the in-file documentation so that generated phpDocs are much more useful to developers than what we currently have.

@ maxpt
Development definitely IS organised. The lack of news on the dev site doesn't reflect the professional way core development is now handled.

As for your point about regular updates to the dev blog I fully agree with you. I know it was Skalpa's intention to regularly post about what he's working on, I don't know why he hasn't. But I agree, a few lines each week, maybe a screenshot or two, would be wonderful.

Mamba
  • 2006/3/31 5:50

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
As for your point about regular updates to the dev blog I fully agree with you. I know it was Skalpa's intention to regularly post about what he's working on, I don't know why he hasn't. But I agree, a few lines each week, maybe a screenshot or two, would be wonderful.

I also agree with. It seems like the main problem within XOOPS is the perceived "secrecy" of development, i.e. lack of communication. This issue is coming up again and again, but it seems like nobody is listening. Do we have a communication team? We really need to have communication as an integral part of the development process, i.e. the team leaders should provide a monthly status update. And Herko, as the project leader, should be the overall driver behind it. I really would like to see consistent monthly updates on the project.

And to be honest, I am disturbed by some of the team leaders' statements that they don't have time. If they don't have the time, why are they still team leaders? One becomes a team leader because he has the time and skills to make a difference. If he doesn't have the time for a short time, then he should ask other team member to fill in - after all that's why we have teams for. But if the lack of time is becoming more permanent, then PLEASE have the decency to acknowledge that and resign, so other people can take it over! I look at the team structure at:

https://xoops.org/modules/wfchannel/index.php?pagenum=8

and I see some dead wood there. Let's finally clean it up and move forward.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

CoolGoose
  • 2006/3/31 10:54

• CoolGoose

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/30

Quote:

rowdie wrote:

This is great but WHERE can i get the svn/cvs version because i can't find it on sourceforge...
It would be great if Skalpa would made that tarball for alpha2 and go to a friend of something if his internet connexion doesn't work and upload it so us mortals that love to get involved to have a look at it :)
o well it seemes that both XOOPS and drupal have the same problem (lack of real communication). for the moment i will stick to drupal 4.7 beta and wait for the alpha2 of XOOPS so i can test it (so far it seemes that XOOPS 2.3/2.4/3 /4,or whatever you want to call it , will be better)
And this site imho should get more organised and have mod-rewrite enabled so that google could index it better and XOOPS to get in the first page when you search for cms.
Just my 2 cents
Thanks
Alex Bucur.

banned
  • 2006/3/31 11:09

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

Quote:
Current Directory: /
Rev: 275
Author: skalpa
Last modification: Rev 275 - 2006-03-31 00:22:11 +0200 (Fri, 31 Mar 2006)
Log message: The source repository has been moved back to sourceforge, now that they offer Subversion services...

It's location changed from:
svn+yourname@svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/xoops4" target="_blank">ssh://yourname@svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/xoops4
to
yourname@svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xoops" target="_blank">https://yourname@svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xoops

The new SVN service has been configured so the notifications are sent to xoops-cvs2@lists.sourceforge.net, as it was the case when using CVS, so if it's not the case already, please subscribe to this ML to recieve them

Looks like that skalpa is still alive

banned,

davidl2
  • 2006/3/31 11:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

CoolGoose - The SVN has now moved back to Sourceforge, as it previously did not have the SVN facility.

Banned - Yes, although he has been suffering with his hand and arm, he is working very hard indeed.

davidl2
  • 2006/3/31 11:29

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Mamba - you do have some good points about the chart, and i've passed these to the relevent people to look into.

However, don't forget in regards to the Team Leader part of things - that we're all doing this for love, not money, and sometimes "real life" does get in the way of things.

Needless to say, you do have a good point.

CoolGoose
  • 2006/3/31 11:53

• CoolGoose

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/30

Ok so who is registered and can make a checkout of the svn and post the tarball here :P

Herko
  • 2006/3/31 11:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

CoolGoose wrote:
Ok so who is registered and can make a checkout of the svn and post the tarball here :P

CoolGoose, you want to help or frustrate development? When there is a new alpha 2 ready to be released, the core dev team will release it. For as long as they deem the code is not ready for an alpha 2 release yet, they will not be forced into creating a release.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits