skeletor
Xoops online store
  • 2006/3/14 20:12

• skeletor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/20

This is a little website I put together for my wife because she is wanting to sell her od jewelry shes been making lately. Its got a pretty basic theme and it has zen cart on it. Its got some neat stuff on it, so do check it out, the site is.http://wrongwayacc.com

Hopefully soon I will have made a better theme, but for right now that will do.

Chris03
Re: Xoops online store
  • 2006/3/14 20:58

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Not bad, but where \ who is hosting this site? It takes ages to load here. Im in Tx, USA. It took around 30 - 40 seconds for all the images to load up properly.
KickassAMD

gestroud
  • 2006/3/14 21:29

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Looks like a good start and the shop seems to work well. Didn't have any problems with load time - just over second. Good luck

skeletor
  • 2006/3/14 21:32

• skeletor

• Just popping in

thanks for your reply, but right now the site is bein hosted off my server at my house, so just my dsl connection is powering it. I am still looking for a decent (hopefully free, or really close) host for the site. I didn't think it would load that slow, the other site I used to host never loaded that slow, hmm. Well I guess I should look a little harder for a host then

gestroud- good to hear you didn't have problems with load, maybe Chris just was doing something the same time as a couple other people.. Oh well, I should still look into a better host anyways, my connection suffers enough as is ;)

gestroud
  • 2006/3/14 21:36

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Look into 1and1.comhttp://1and1.com or Surpass Hostinghttp://www.surpasshosting.com/

skeletor
  • 2006/3/14 21:52

• skeletor

• Just popping in

alright, thnx for the links. I will have to look into them more.
Have you use either of them hosts? If I pay for a host, I would like to be atleast a little confident they won't try to screw me over. I have had another webhost completely try to screw me of out a whole years of service
::cough cough::canaca::cough::

lol, so they left just a little sour taste in my mouth towards webhosting companys

peterr
  • 2006/3/14 23:27

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

I'd highly recommend Green Olive Tree Hosting.

Looks like the site is using osCommerce within XOOPS. The _major_ reason for the slow loading is the size of the images. There are many good osC contributions, to display thumbnails instead of the full size. Even if the proportions of an image are 'scaled down' to 80 x 80, the browser still has to load the full soize of the image, ... so thumbnails are the way to go, make sure you don't loose any aspect ratio.

P
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

script_fu

I've seen a couple of sites with the zen cart module installed that are live. Am I wrong is saying this is a beta module and should not be used in production site yet?

skeletor
  • 2006/3/15 0:51

• skeletor

• Just popping in

zen cart itself isn't in beta, just the XOOPS module, and the login isn't changed really at all. So the security should be fine (which was the main thing I was worried about at first) But all in all I think that for the most part its fine. Its not like this site is gonna have huge huge traffic, and it's not selling for a major online company or anything, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I tested the whole thing out and it works just fine.

peterr - i know thats a big reason for the slow downloads, I reduced the size of the images as much as I could without losing the detail of the product. It would be nice if there was a feature to have one image for the thumbnail, and then when you click it have it open to the full size pic.

Anyways though, thanx for the comments and everything so far.

peterr
  • 2006/3/15 1:04

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Quote:

skeletor wrote:
peterr - i know thats a big reason for the slow downloads, I reduced the size of the images as much as I could without losing the detail of the product. It would be nice if there was a feature to have one image for the thumbnail, and then when you click it have it open to the full size pic.

There are many contributions, try this search , the ones up the top are the popular ones. Some just do the thumbnail, but I know what you want, the thumbnail for the product, and when you click on the image, the full size will be shown. Most of them do that. It seems you have Zen cart though and not osCommerce, Zen Cart is a 'fork' from osCommerce.

Just how the osC contribs for thumbnails will 'fit' into the code you are using though, I don't know ?

Ideally, you may want to go to an osC website that was using a particular (thumbnail) contrib, to see if that is what you want.

edit: actually
this search would be better, narrows the field down a lot.

P
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits