tedsmith
System Avatars Being Selected by User But Not Saved
  • 2006/3/12 16:55

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Xoops 2.0.13.2

Weird one this...

New site, many avatars imported into the site using the FAQ and script written by Carnuke, so all the system avatars are named 'avatars: badger' for example. However, whenever any of the users try to select one of the avatars from the list, it reports that their profile has been updated but then no avatar is displayed on their account.

That said, they can upload their own and that works perfectly.

If anyone wants to have a look and even test it out, register an account at www.chaddesden.org and try it for yourselves.

Is this a known issue and if so does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

Ted

tedsmith
Re: System Avatars Being Selected by User But Not Saved
  • 2006/3/17 12:15

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

*bump* ...anyone?

charpres
  • 2006/3/24 19:36

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Same exact problem. I don't remember seeing this happen before I went to 2.0.13.2

Anybody have any ideas?

charpres
  • 2006/3/24 20:35

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Been doing a bit of troubleshooting.

It has nothing to do with the XOOPS version since I tried changing an avatar on a different server running 2.0.13.2 and there was no problem.

So, that begins to sound like a server permissions problem.

However, XOOPS saves system avatars (as opposed to user-uploaded avatars) in the database. There is a reference in the mySql database, however, to files with the prefix "SAVTxxxxx" which XOOPS saves to the uploads directory. Custom avatars are saved with names like "CAxxx" in the same directory.

The problem is, permissions are all fine in the directories and I can't figure out why system avatars are usable in one installation but not the other.

It has to be a server issue somehow.

tedsmith
  • 2006/3/25 0:42

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Interesting...the plot thickens.

I'm not sure at the minute either - if anyone wants to have a look for themselves they can use the username 'testuser' and password 'BRAVEBEAR' at www.chaddesden.org so that they can see for themselves. I am currently working on my XOOPS Importer but will be coming back to this issue ASAP

tedsmith
  • 2006/4/1 15:09

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

bump

tedsmith
  • 2006/4/10 21:56

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

This is driving me mad! I've got three sites all running 2.0.13.2. And I've got massess of avatars on all three. I've checked the permissions on the one's that work and they're all 664. The permissions on the site that doesn't work were something different (I forget what they were now) so I changed them all to 664 as well. No change, yet on the other site they work fine. So I tried 644 as well, just to make sure. No luck. I just don't get it?

What other reasons could there be? Remember, it's only affecting the avatars that have been uploaded and appear when the user clicks 'List'. If they select the avatar and save, it says 'Profile Updated Successfully' but no avatar appears in their account. The manual uploading feature works OK.

tedsmith
  • 2006/4/20 13:11

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Someone must know...

Remember, to see for yourself, you can login with 'testuser', password 'BRAVEBEAR' on the Chaddesden Online web site (as this is the only one I'm having the problem on

Ted

Pnooka
  • 2006/4/20 13:42

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

This is just a shot in the dark. Try to rename some of the avatars, so that the name doesn't contain the "avatar: " part. Name them i.e. bunnies, and so forth. I guess that XOOPS doesn't like spaces and such in avatar names.

tedsmith
  • 2006/4/20 14:40

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

I wondered that myself, but I used a script that Carnuke wrote (who knows his stuff) so I assumed it would be OK. But like you say, maybe since that script was wrote XOOPS updates have meant that spaces are a no-no. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how I get on.

Ted

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits