Quest
Installation of xDirectory module?
  • 2006/3/1 16:33

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I have searched the site but found nothing on how to install the xdirectory module or instructions on its use.
Why do we do this to ourselves/fellow xoopsters?

I browsed 17 pages on the xdirectory topic. I could have missed it...

I downloaded the module and when I opened the compressed file there are many other compressed (gz) files. I looked in all the folders of the main xDirectory compressed file and couldn't find a readme.txt file, installation instructions etc.

I realize and understand the interactive community functionality of XOOPS open source/www.xoops.org but there just seems to be such a helter skelter of module submissions to the module repository, and elsewhere, etc.
If even only-there could be some review for the basics of common necessities before a module is allowed to be uploaded to the repository. I have lost track of how many modules I have went to review/research and discover there are no instructions for use, no installation instructions, or anything, also many of them are not in english either. I thought this was the english support site...

Enough of my babbling. Just needed to vent a little. 17 pages of a thread and no farther than I was when I first downloaded the module. Ouch-dat hurts!

Original intent of my post:

Can anyone help me to find instructions for installation of xDirectory, usage and or both? Or let me know if there is something better (with instructs and install of course) which I can use for a good city guide and business listings directory?

jlm69
Re: Installation of xDirectory module?
  • 2006/3/1 17:16

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

First calm down a little, for usage maybe you are right there could be more documentation for many modules. As for installing, if there are no special instructions for the specific module, most module writers figure you know how to use Xoops, and they should not have to explain the exact process how to install a module, thats why they usually say install as you would normally.

You just read the wrong 17 pages of information, which will help you in the long run if you use that module.

Try the link below, it explains many things about how to use Xoops, probably the best way to learn Xoops. Everyone should reference this.

Everybody gets frustrated sometimes, don't let it get to you.

Hope this helps,

John

Xoops for Dummies

Lance_
  • 2006/3/1 19:33

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

Quest wrote:
I downloaded the module and when I opened the compressed file there are many other compressed (gz) files.

I've come accross this also with the module, maybe the method used for compressing caused it, but anyhow, just unzip each .gz in it's place, keeping the folder structure, then upload only the files and install the module.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

gestroud
  • 2006/3/1 20:11

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

if you need a working copy without going through a bunch of bull, send me a pm.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits