aprox
HTML/Static pages problems with Xoops 2.0.13.2
  • 2006/1/27 13:31

• aprox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/15

Hello,

As I am still quite new to Xoops, I figured it best to post my questions here first.

I am using XOOPS version 2.13.0.2 on a Fedora Core 4 linux system, wiht latest version of PHP and Mysql.

I have had some smaller problems up through, but all in all I am very satisfied and found some nice modules to use as well.

1) However, one of my biggest lackings at the moment is a capability to handle Static pages and/or HTML pages in such a way that it can be easily modified also by someone else than me. preferably in a way so that HTML (or other) coding is not needed. In other word, something with a WYSIWYG solution would be the best solution.

I have tried several of the modules under HTML/Static pages in the modules section, but somehow I have had major trouble getting any of them to work properly as of yet. It's not always the same problem, so difficult to identify what to do all the time, but I seem to have trouble getting a WYSIWYG editor operational and I also suspect that few or the modules are updated to suppoort 2.13.0.2 without some kind of mod'ing. I am not that experienced with PHP, so I am trying to avoid too much of that.

As of now I am trying mainly to get 1 of the 2 latest released modules to work, "content" and "edito". Those two I get unpacked and placed in the module folder (according to documentation and also the correct folders), but in the modules section of administration I only get "module file for .... not found" for both of them.

I have manually had a look at the xoops_version.php files, and also checked the owner rights as well as the access rights, but can't find a problem.

Is there an experienced XOOPS admin out there that can possibly help me with this?

2) A side issue.
I am now moving to Xoops, but have used Drupal before, and had a gallery on the side in the form of "gallery" from menalto. I know XOOPS have a module version of this, but when installing it (even the modified beta versions) I only get blank pages. If anyone has a good solution for that, then that is very much appriciated. As of now, I have, as with my previous Drupal solution, installed a separate Gallery instance and used hyperlinking.

Thanks for a good product

Cheers
Aprox

TottoBG
Re: HTML/Static pages problems with Xoops 2.0.13.2
  • 2006/1/27 21:23

• TottoBG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/8/18

Hi aprox,
Not sure if I can think of a content module with WYSIWYG editor, but for the other things:
- For problem with installing modules - that message comes out when 1) module files haven't finished uploading when you've opened the modules administration page, i.e. still uploading files at that moment; and 2) some problem with ftp client has come while uploading, so it hasn't uploaded fully the files. If it's 2) then you have to clear uploaded module files from server and try to upload them again.
- For problem with blank page - it occurs when a php error happen because of some reason. On default, you got php debug off so you don't see the error message on the screen, you just see a blank page. So go to your site administration and from the panel in left open System Admin -> Preferencies -> General Preferencies and taking a look at all the options there you'll see one called sth like 'Debug mode' and a drop-down menu next to it - choose 'PHP debug' and save the changes. Then instead of blank page when it happens you'll see an error message. Copy it and paste it somewhere here in the forums so you'll get help on it.
Good luck!

guardian2k1

We use content to manage static pages and add them to the main menu. I don't have a direct link to the module unfortunately. If you download the community pack and upload the content module directory ONLY to your modules directory and install. You can build custom pages using fckeditor which is built in WYSIWYG editor Content Module
"Linux is extremely user-friendly. It also happens to be extremely selective when picking its friends."

http://www.nuxified.com |http://debcentral.org

aprox
  • 2006/1/30 11:46

• aprox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/15

Thanks a lot for the input guys

First, just to clear something out. This problem of mine is not related to upload issues with ftp and similar as some has had before (I have read some other threads on the issue). Reason I say this is because I run the server (I am the host as well as the webmaster) that this XOOPS installation is installed on, and every module I use has been downladed directly to this machine and not been ftp'ed across.
But, thanks for mentioning it as a possible problem

I also appriciate the tip about the community package, and have searched for it. however, the only community package I find is released for 2.2.X version of Xoops, and as I run 2.0.13.2 I assume that might not be compatible? Please advice, before I do too much about that. I have had issues with compatibility before, so I have learned to as much as possible stay on modules versions that support my current XOOPS version.

I also emphasize I want to use content for static pages, so that assumeption is correct. I did breifly try the "patched" version of content which supports the fckeditor, but I had some trouble getting that too work too. I assume that probably has a similar reason in me not totally understanding the steps of installment

Basically, if someone could be as kind as explaining to me (in detail) step by step how to install a module pluss whatever I need for a editor as WYSIWYG or FCKEDITOR (I have realized that some of the modules I have tested did not come with the editor included, but few mention much on how to include it and set it up). If someone even can explain to me with the "content" module as an example, that would be even better
I assume it's just me who haven't really understood how to connect this editor class and modules properly....

Thanks on the PHP feedback too btw.
Will check for PHP errors when this occurs to me.

Again, appreciate all help and input very much

Cheers
Aprox

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits