toddherrold
Upgrading from Wordpress ME to XPress

Does anyone have experience changing from Wordpress ME in multiuser mode (NobuNobu's module) to the new XPress? I've been trying to find out whether it is possible to upgrade to XPress and not lose the posts created by multiple users.

I've read that it is a simple upgrade from ME to Xpress in single user mode, but what if I've been using it in multi-user mode? Can I migrate and still have all the blog posts?

thanks.

toddherrold
Re: Upgrading from Wordpress ME to XPress

i figured out the answer to this question and am posting here in case someone else is looking for it.

upgrading from the ME module to XPress is not entirely seam less but it does work. Following XPress instructions, to just delete module files and upload Xpress, then update normally, mostly worked. There were a couple of database errors, but the module installed. Some of the admin panel functions did not take though, so this is what I did:

1. Make full site and database backup
2. Make individual Wordpress ME directory and database backup.
3. Upload Xpress directory and overwrite ME files (XPress says to delete the old directory before uploading but I don't think this is a good idea, given ME attaches files there.)
4. Go to System Admin and update module normally.
5. If no dbase errors, great! But I had dbase errors, so I had to do the following:

6. Export WP tables from mySQL to local.
7. Uninstall WP
8. Drop all WP tables (don't do this unless you know what you're doing).
9. Make fresh install of WP (you should get no errors now)
10. Drop all WP tables from mySQL again.
11. Run SQL query to re-create and upload your dbase copy from the faulty install (be sure not to confuse the two backups that you now have. . you should upload not the original ME backup, but the backup from the faulty install.

12. For me, at this point, everything was working normally.

PS. If you were using the XOOPS comments feature in Wordpress ME, then your site will have some fatal errors making call to comments that are no longer associated with XPress. I had to deal with this also, so if it happens to you, email me.

though it was a little painful, I think the move to the current XPress was worth it, given the fork directions of XOOPS and the old wordpress, as well as the enhanced functionality and eas of using plugins. .

gardar
Re: Upgrading from Wordpress ME to XPress
  • 2006/5/19 12:48

• gardar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/10

Thanks for this great thread :)

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits