zANavAShi
Different home page for guests and registered users?
  • 2005/11/7 10:51

• zANavAShi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/6 5

Greetings fellow XOOPS users,

Is it all possible to have a different home/start page for non-logged in guests and logged-in members?

I have been asked to set the wordpress module as the home page of one of my XOOPS sites, but the problem with that is that it contains sensitive material which they do not want to have visible to non-members (the blog module is only visible to logged-in paid members).

If it would be possible, I should like to have the public home page a blurb about the the organisation and then when paid members log into the private area of the site their page refreshes and they are now automatically viewing the blog.

Is there any kind of standard or hacked feature which would enable me to implement this please?

Thanks a bunch for reading in.

Z

PS: We are still using XOOPS 2.0.10 and have no intention to upgrade in the near future unless absolutely necessary.

JMorris
Re: Different home page for guests and registered users?
  • 2005/11/7 11:23

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

A trick I've used successfully is modifying the Site Closed template. If you're good with HTML, you can make your template look any way you want. This gives the impression that the site is up and running, but it protects sensitive information.

Example:http://ccna3.pkbcs.com/

If you're wanting to offer registration and a little bit of content to non-registered users, you could alter your theme to check whether the visitor is a user or not and omit the content (non-block content, like Wordpress) if the visitor is not a user.

Example:
Locate in theme.html
<div id="content"><{$xoops_contents}></div>

Replace with
<{if $xoops_isuser}><div id="content"><{$xoops_contents}></div><{/if}>

You can further adjust content through group permission settings on blocks. For instance, you can display a welcome block describing the benefits of membership to anonymous users and only allow view permissions to the anonymous group.

Hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

James

P.S. There have been a lot of security updates since 2.0.10. Please do reconsider upgrading.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

zANavAShi
  • 2005/11/7 11:52

• zANavAShi

• Just popping in

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply James (BTW I loooove your avatar!!!! Hope you don't mind that I thieved it to use for my own avatar on another forum I visit LOL )

OK, I am not quite sure I understand your advice here J.

I am familiar with being able to hide items in the blocks menu and set in the user groups who can see them using those access permissions (we have four tiers of membership where some can see all 13 module/blocks, others only 11 of them and guests only can see 5, as a teaser to join up).

My understanding was that I have to set a "global" home page in the main site preferences and that if I do not allow all users to have visibility to that page/module then they will be left with a blank page when they visit the home page and I cannot have guests seeing a blank page.

I was kinda hoping that I could reconfigure what happens when a user is "redirected" after login. Is that possible? Maybe instead of being redirected back to the home page, I can have them redirected instead to wordpress index page, which means I could leave the existing homepage "as is".

It's not so much a case of "what's visible" as it is "where they are directed" after they have performed a particular action (in this case, a successful login).

Yikes, I hope that made more sense this time?

Cheers m'dears,
Z

PS: I will consider again the upgrade, but it will have to wait till Xmas break as I am crazy busy with college finals right now. I customised the snot out of many of the system modules when I built this thing and I'd be gutted if an upgrade should break any of my tweaks. Promise I will investigate further tho

JMorris
  • 2005/11/7 12:04

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
I am crazy busy with college finals right now.

I know the feeling.

I checked out the templates that handle redirection (system_redirect.html and system_error.html) and to be quite honest, I'm not sure if what you're wanting to do can be accomplished using those. This might be one of those core hack situations. Unfortunately, that's getting int territory I'm not especially skilled at. I'll brainstorm on this throughout the day and see if I can come up with something.

Perhaps someone else with have an idea of what you would need to do to accomplish this.

OH! I do recall seeing something like this in the forums once before, I believe. You may try doing a search with different terms and see if you can come up with something that way. If you do, please post a link to that thread back here.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

WarDick
  • 2005/11/7 14:53

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Try the myHome module.. It does just what you want.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

zANavAShi
  • 2005/11/9 2:38

• zANavAShi

• Just popping in

Quote:

WarDick wrote:
Try the myHome module.. It does just what you want.

Ooooh lah lah! This is just the trick. Those Wolf Clan boys have some very nice tools... alas, if only I could speak more French than "ooh lah lah" and read their website better

Thanks muchly for the recommendation WarDick. I had to install a module specially for the current homepage I am using and this myHome looks like it will be able to free that up so I can devote to that another purpose on my site.

Absolutely spiffing!

Cheers
Z

PS: g'luck for your finals J. The internet stole my life and college stole my internet life.... Can't wait to steal it back after finals are over hehehe

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits