m0nty
2.2.3 Profile mod hack (COPPA registration)
  • 2005/11/4 15:59

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

COPPA Registration System (Hack)

system: XOOPS 2.2.3

The purpose of this hack is to allow webmasters to enable COPPA like registration system.
You can read more about COPPA athttp://www.coppa.org

Admin Section:

In the Preferences of Extended Profile

General Settings:

added options >

Display Privacy statement? YES NO (enable sites privacy statement to be viewed on pages, is needed for COPPA compliance)
Privacy Statement <textarea> (this is where you enter your sites privacy statement, is needed for COPPA compliance)

Enable COPPA Registration? YES NO
Enter Minimum Age (this sets the minimum age for coppa registration)
COPPA Fax Number (this is for you to give your Fax number for coppa request forms to be faxed to)
COPPA Address (this is for you to enter an address for coppa request forms to be mailed to (snail mail not email))

User Side (Front End)

when a user clicks register, they are greeted with a COPPA AGE Selection Form (only if enable coppa registration enabled),
if enable coppa registration is disabled, normal registration is used without seeing the age selection.

once the user enters their age, the system checks whether it is below the COPPA Minimum Age, if it is,
then they are redirected to a seperate COPPA registration page, if they are older than the minimum age, then normal registration method is selected.

The COPPA registration method is the same as with normal registration except for a few details (explained below).

when a coppa user fills in the registration form and submits to register on the site, regardless of what settings you chose in admin for user activation, whether it be user (email, no activation required or admin), the coppa user will only be able to be activated by ADMIN.
the user will not receive an activation key at all, the admin will then receive notice that a registration by COPPA user has been made.

A Form will also be mailed to the users email address with a printable form for them to print out and have their parents/guardians to fill in and return to the webmaster via fax or post (snail mail) only then will the webmaster activate their account.

A copy of the sites privacy policy will also be sent with this form for the parents to read through. (not completed yet)

a printable form will also be displayed on screen which they can print out if need be (not completed yet)

please be aware that there is no other check made on the age the user types in, they could easily lie about their age.
But that is not the intention of COPPA, the rule is that you have done what you can .

COPPA is not about restricting content for children, COPPA is only about the gathering of information and storing information of children under the age of 13/14
whether it be on registration forms, user surveys, user profiles or polls.

i've put this in the module hack section because practically all of the modifications have been done in the profile module itself.

so far this hack only requires hacking of 1 XOOPS core file, and that is with just 3 lines of code.

a few more have been made to the profile module, but that is the reason for having a profile module, so that it gave more freedom to people to develop modifications of the user profile system unlike with 2.0.13.x and below.

once i have it finished, then i'll release it for scrutiny :) so far it works pretty well, but i have to finish the few parts that i haven't done yet.

m0nty
Re: 2.2.3 Profile mod hack (COPPA registration)
  • 2005/11/4 19:46

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

mailer section is finished and works. :)
privacy part now complete.

99% completed.

so far only core hack is in 1 file (about 3 lines of code)

also 1 4 line bit of code added to the theme.html file. so all in all it should be a simple hack for anyone to setup.

todo:

make coppa verify form printable.

m0nty
  • 2005/11/15 0:42

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

completed!!

download from here

*edit*

you can see a demo here click register

age is set at 14 so under 14 u get coppa registration, over 14 normal registration.

m0nty
  • 2005/11/16 6:50

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

profile/xoops_version.php

line 211:

at the end of the line find:

'_PROFILE_MI_ADMINACTV' => 2);$modversion['config'][11]['category'] = 'settings';

move $modversion['config'][11]['category'] = 'settings'; onto the next line and change the [11] to [13]

(downloaded pack is already updated)

nparties
  • 2006/5/1 22:06

• nparties

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/24

where can i find the mod hack for coppa ?

AlienHand
  • 2006/5/2 16:00

• AlienHand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/12

Where to get the pack - or hack?

jensclas

Where can you get it?

Got up to post number three and click on 'here' where it says Quote:
download from here

Don't forget to pay attention to Monty's edits too.

Monty! Wonderful work - I had to do one of these forms as a parent (neo pets i think) and was impressed the website took the initiative to get the parents permission - I think it is an excellent idea for sites that attract kids!

cheers

barryc
  • 2006/5/2 21:14

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Except that the link doesn't work any more.
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

jensclas

Oh dear...I never thought to look at the dates! well I guess we have to wait for Monty to come back on this one. Have you tried to PM him?

m0nty
  • 2006/5/3 1:18

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

you'll have to send me ur email address as i don't have a server at moment, so am unable to host anything..

that's providing i still actually have a copy somewhere lol.. i'm quite forgetful when it comes to backing up my home pc and i usually forget something important when i re format :-|

hopefully i'll have them on dvd somewhere..

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits