Intuit
Anyone using Xoops as anarticle site?
  • 2005/9/15 20:57

• Intuit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/2 1

Anyone using XOOPS as an article site? I have another CMS for my article site below, but it has so many bugs I even considered rolling my own CMS or using Xoops. But has so much I do not need for that certain site.

I suppose the main thing is has anyone written special blocks, that for example, can be used to show all article categories, number of articles in each, most popular authors, most read articles, etc? If so it will of course save me a week or more of work since I am new to both PHP and XOOPS module creation.

Cheers,
--
I
http://www.articles4business.com - post your small business/financial/internet biz articles here to promote your site!
http://www.seductionhome.com

phppp
Re: Anyone using Xoops as anarticle site?
  • 2005/9/15 21:20

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Xoops has several article management modules as well as integrated blog software.

Depends on your requirement.

wizanda
Re: Anyone using Xoops as anarticle site?
  • 2005/9/15 21:51

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

I use the articles module, there is plenty of diffrent articles modules, yet I find it the easiest to use.

Good Luck

saamah
'Advanced' Articles module?
  • 2005/9/16 12:06

• saamah

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/9 1

Hello,

I'm trying to use XOOPS to develop a website where people can search an MySQL database for teaching materials. Each row in the database will contain the description of the material, as well as various descriptive fields (e.g. minimum and maximum age of students, topic, etc.), both numerical and set type.

I've been fiddling with XOOPS for a few days and have found the Articles module on this website to come closest to my requirements, in terms of presenting search results (the engine for generating complex search queries I'll write in PHP), or allowing users to simply browse the database. However, it doesn't have all the fields I need to search on. Should I just go ahead and hack the Articles module code, or does anyone know of a more advanced module that allows the developer to customise the database more?

Thanks loads,
Saameh

phppp
Re: 'Advanced' Articles module?
  • 2005/9/16 12:14

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

saamah wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to use XOOPS to develop a website where people can search an MySQL database for teaching materials. Each row in the database will contain the description of the material, as well as various descriptive fields (e.g. minimum and maximum age of students, topic, etc.), both numerical and set type.

Saameh

Pick up a simple module with similar functionality, like xdirectory, and customize or develop your own module.

[Add open]
"Extensible fields" is planned in one of my modules, but too far to reality right now.
[Add close]

Intuit
  • 2005/9/16 12:48

• Intuit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/2 1

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I would need a module that provides similar functionality to what I have on my other site, www.articles4business.com. Actually that is exactly what I want. As you can see it is not overly complex, but still does what I want. If AMS can provide the blocks to emulate it perfectly I would be very satisfied, or some other module.
--
I
http://www.articles4business.com - post your small business/financial/internet biz articles here to promote your site!
http://www.seductionhome.com

Peekay
  • 2005/9/16 13:17

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I believe AMS is very good. You may also want to try SmartSection (there are two versions, one for XOOPS 2 and one for XOOPS 2.2). This is an excellent article manager with option to integrate Koivi WYSIWYG editor.

I would also recommend WF Section. Features include a very nice author-bio block that can be displayed alongside each article. The latest beta is probably the best of the versions available. I don't know if WF Section is XOOPS 2.2 compatible, but it works fine with 2.0.10 and I would guess also with 2.0.13x.

All enable you to present 'recent', 'most viewed' and 'featured' article listing blocks.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

JMorris
  • 2005/9/16 13:29

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

You may want to take a look at my site. I'm currently using the AMS module. I'm looking to move to News 1.4 eventually because it fits my needs a little better, but AMS is a solid article module that is well worth looking into.

Link:http://mywebresource.com

You should be able to get a good feel for the features and capabilities of AMS there.

Hope this helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits