GOwin
choosing a bulletin board
  • 2005/7/29 6:01

• GOwin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/2 9

there are three BB modules available for xoops: CBB (based on newbb?), IPB, PBB.

Could someone please give me an overview of each?

I'm looking for a BB software that's quick and has an intuitie interface.

Recommendations?

wizanda
Re: choosing a bulletin board
  • 2005/7/29 7:20

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Out of the 3 you mentioned:

CBB is a XOOPS module alone, and made by members of xoops. This means it is free and easy to stay with the same system as XOOPS core upgrades!

IPB is a proffesional board and is Invision Power Board intergrated into xoops, that now cost! so no further upgrades, also it means that it hacks the main XOOPS core, so when upgrades come for xoops, you need to wait till the makers of the module version, upgrade to the core of XOOPS version.

PBB again is a copy of PhPBB, it is also an intergrated version into the XOOPS core, this cause again problems when upgradeing the core of xoops!

There is also newbb, which is the basic XOOPS standard module which is on my site.

Also the just new released version of newbbex, which is an upgrade version of newbb.

And last but not least there is newbb2, which is what you are using on xoops.org.

Both the last 3 and CBB are easy to upgrade with the XOOPS core, as they are made by XOOPS and are a self contained module.

Hope that helps

GOwin
  • 2005/7/29 7:28

• GOwin

• Just popping in

So, to play "safe" I should try the ones built by XOOPS users?

You say there are cbb, newbb, newbb2 and newbbex.

Adding those new ones seems to complicate the decision to choose.

Which of these are stable, fast, and ready for XOOPS 2.2? (Because that's the one I have on my site.)

From what I've read, the latest of XOOPS integrated BB modules are CBB and newbbex.

Pros and cons?

wizanda
  • 2005/7/29 7:35

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

CBB is the one that is currently in production, by the XOOPS community, and has a version designed for xoops2.2.

Also the CBB site is running on xoops2.2, I do believe?

bluenova

CBB has a release candidate for XOOPS 2.2 and final will be released soon. CBB and newbbex are the only ones in active development.

GOwin
  • 2005/7/29 7:42

• GOwin

• Just popping in

It's between newbbex and CBB.

Yes, that's what I've gathered from what I've read so far.

Newbbex claims that version 1.23 "greatly reduce the number of sql queries and underline the keywords used in the XOOPS search."

This could translate to a more responsive site.

Other than that, I have not much ideas yet.

bluenova

NewBBex would be much faster, cause it's a much simpler board. You have to weigh up whether you need the features of CBB. You can check out CBB using the link in my sig.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits