JimLunsford
editing templates

I am trying to edit a module template so I went to my admin area clicked on system>templates. I then went to the template I wanted to edit and made the changes I needed but all I have is a preview button. I then clecked on preview thinking there might be a save option and there wasn't. Should there be one?

I then went to the module itself and made the changes to the file via ftp cleared the templates_c folder and updated the module. Still no change. What am I doing wrong?

wcrwcr
Re: editing templates
  • 2005/6/20 17:00

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

I guess that in order to edit you templates you mus first clone the one that you?re using jim.

JimLunsford

Alright that worked thanks! I wonder why you have to clone them first and can't edit directly.....

wcrwcr
  • 2005/6/20 17:10

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

Quote:
I wonder why you have to clone them first and can't edit directly.....

I guess it?s a kind of "preventing unwanted mess" measure

JimLunsford

I thought that may be the case but if you don't know what you are doing then in my opinion don't mess with it!

Mithrandir

Quote:
if you don't know what you are doing then in my opinion don't mess with it!

Would be wonderful if we could assume that - but alas, we cannot. Tinkering and trying things out is part of building a website and although we cannot guarantee that tinkering will not break the website, we do our best to minimise the risks and at least provide a crude "rollback" possibility.

wcrwcr
  • 2005/6/20 20:03

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

Hi Mith

Quote:
...........and at least provide a crude "rollback" possibility.

Talking about that, did you had time to take a little bit closer look to the perl script provided by a user.....erhm...
sorry I forgot the user?s name

Anyway I guess you know what i?m talking about (i hope)

thanks

Edit> the user is bungoman85 and the thread is:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37407&forum=28&post_id=163234#forumpost163234

Mithrandir

sortof... but I don't really know what you expect me to do with it. Include it in the core? To be honest, I don't think it belongs there. Don't get me wrong, it is a good tool - especially when it becomes more and more refined - but I don't find it so necessary that it should be part of the core.

If we need a special section in the Repository (stretching the term a little) or a new Tool Shed to complement the Repository and Themes Library, I am positive, but putting perl code in the core would not be beneficial from my point of view (remember who will get the heat if things don't work - and I can't support perl code. I know nothing about it except that the syntax is somewhat similar to PHP)

So to sum up: Good idea and one I will encourage - but not one I will assume responsibility for.

wcrwcr
  • 2005/6/20 20:56

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

hi

Quote:
sortof... but I don't really know what you expect me to do with it. Include it in the core?

Maybe a little adaption to PHP. Is it doable?

Quote:
(remember who will get the heat if things don't work - and I can't support perl code. I know nothing about it except that the syntax is somewhat similar to PHP)

I absolutelly know what you mean

I?ll try to contact some others developers( as I know you must be deeply into the de of 2.4) too in order to get some infos about that possible adaption of this perl code to PHP, and maybe nice a module dev.

Mithrandir

Or maybe it should be distributed as a non-module and non-core utility. It doesn't have to be fully integrated in order to be useful.

Anyway, we are straying off topic.
Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits