Herko
Re: "failed writing constant 0"
  • 2005/6/16 14:03

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

heh, how ironic. First the core dev team gets slammed because they are not open, making unilateral decisions, don't communicate enough... and now tha the team does all that and more, they get slammed because they are too open, involve the community in development too much, communitates too much....

People: just read the texts, please. I hope we can count on a basic level of intelligence and self-sufficiency among our users

On the homepage, it clearly reads 'unstable'. So please, help out in making XOOPS better by testing the latest CVS nightlies, in stead of making the rather obvious even more obvious (and more closed).

Herko

m0nty
  • 2005/6/16 15:28

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

it's a recurrent circle i think herko..

people see the numbers and tend to either ignore the words after so download it because obviously the higher the version is the latest to download.

and some newcomers don't even know what a alpha/beta version is at all.

altho maybe the nightly link could be directed to a standard redirect page with a clear message that it's a development version and may/may not work, and that the latest version is 2.0.10, then they can choose to continue to download or redirect to the latest stable release.. i know it's more work and shouldn't be necessary but it might make those people who haven't read the news articles or don't even read install instructions and just jump right in.

Dave_L
  • 2005/6/16 18:08

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I agree with m0nty. In my experience, many people don't read the details. They pick out words like "XOOPS" and "download", and ignore the rest.

When you click the Download Now!!! link on the main page, you go to a page that has links for XOOPS 1.3.x, XOOPS 2.0.x and XOOPS 2.1/2.2. There's no indication there that XOOPS 2.0.10 is the latest stable version, and XOOPS 2.x is a development version.

Also, the disclaimer on the 2.1 download page is not that conspicuous or deterring. I would change it to red boldface, and include a note about it being a development version, not intended for production sites.

davidl2
  • 2005/6/16 18:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Pretty much what I meant - but Dave & Monty phrased it much better

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits