aharon
paid for modules
  • 2005/6/9 12:07

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/17

Hi,

Is it:

a - OK to pay for modules made for specific requirements?
b - Make such modules available free to the whole community?
c - What are the price ranges for module hacking and production?

Thanks!

Aharon

Bassman
Re: paid for modules
  • 2005/6/9 12:23

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

a) Yes
b) Absolutely! If that's what you want.
c) Depends.......there are ppl here who will quote you on what you want.

wtravel

1. Yes, it is okay to pay for custom module development and
2. release those modules to the whole community (you don't have to of course).
3. Price ranges for custom development depend on the developer and the requirements, size of the project etc. Hard to give you an general idea on that.

Usually payed development will be faster than asking the community for a module and also will provide you the possibility to include support & upgrades in the agreement.

aharon
  • 2005/6/9 18:08

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

Hummmm... Why would someone pay for a new module and *not* provide it for the whole community??
Isn't it a way to pay back?
Xoops is a platform made with time and efforts being offered freely - if I come to a free party, the wine bottle is to share...

Aharon

davidl2
  • 2005/6/9 18:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

That's the spirit

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/9 18:30

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

With all due respect, it doesn't actually work like that all the time.

Just because XOOPS is free doesn't mean everything else around XOOPS should be free. The fact is that many webmasters want specific modules/themes for them and are willing to pay to have this service done for them. There is no reason for anyone who pays for a module to actually then hand it out to the General public.

I have done work on many modules that are not public domain and would be a great asset to everyone, but the company has the right not to release and normally they wont to protect their assets.

ATB

John

aharon
  • 2005/6/9 18:58

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

I can understand your point, John, and agree that people should be able to do what ever make s/he feel comfortable with.
However, there are reasons why paid for modules might questionably be, in most circumstances, private assets.
If a person/company pays for XOOPS development and the freely available modules they use, pay for new bespoke modules, and then say: "these are my assets" - fair enough, you bought the house and want to keep the furniture.
But if a person/company draws on other people's efforts and then pay only for special features just to keep them private, is a bit disrespectful, isn't it?
There might be a point for such a behaviour, if the reproduction of the materials included a substantial cost in it. But when it's a question of a space available for a simple copy of a bunch of numbers - red neon lights that say "why not" begin to flash in ever increasing rate and height...

Aharon

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/9 19:26

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

aharon wrote:
But if a person/company draws on other people's efforts and then pay only for special features just to keep them private, is a bit disrespectful, isn't it?

In a word 'no'.

The fact is that if I have a client pay me for enhancing a module and paying good money for that enhancement then why shouldn't they be allowed not to keep it in the private domain?

I have been paid for enhancing certian aspects of WF-Sections with the stipulation that the work carried out should not and would not become public domain. In the end, I, as the developer have to respect their wishes and keep to the contract.

ATB

John

aharon
  • 2005/6/10 0:05

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

It meant as "disrespectful" for the effort at large..

I understand your position as a developer facing a client, and respect that as a choice on how you'd like to do business. Personally, I am not a software developer and live in a slightly different market streams, hence the possibilities of what can be done with clients are slightly different.

It might, however, be interesting to open up and map the revenue models within XOOPS community of developers to learn about attitudes and gauge possible implications on the project as a whole - if any..

Aharon

davidl2
  • 2005/6/10 10:53

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

To be honest John, I do agree with your valid point. My "Good on you" comment was more thanking the original comment of donating them to the community.

Likewise, it is paid-for development that can fund programmers - who hopefully may put their talents to releasing free modules as well

The Opensource vs paid modules is an argument that will go on and on and on and on and....... But both sides certainly have valid enough arguments I suppose.

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits