RAWFS
Geeklog to XOOP Migration Tools?
  • 2005/5/19 20:21

• RAWFS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/19

Hi Folks,

I have been asked to look at XOOP as a possible replacement for Geeklog, which currently runs our site

http://www.redandwhitefromstate.com

I as wondering if there are already scripts/tools to migrate from one to the other, or if anyone has any experience doing this.

I suppose I could roll up my sleeves and just get my hands dirty, but if someone already has tools, no sense in inventing the wheel twice.

Thanks

Charles

ackbarr
Re: Geeklog to XOOP Migration Tools?

I have not yet seen a migration script from Geeklog to XOOPS. I think having one would be a valuable addition to the XOOPS community though, and would be willing to answer any questions if you tried to write one yourself.

Which parts of your site would the migration script need to handle:

User Accounts
Permissions
Application Data:
* News Articles
* Calendar Events
* Photo Galleries
* Links / Downloads

I can recommend the following modules:
News Article Management: News 1.3
Calendar: piCal or extcal
Gallery: the XOOPS embedded version of gallery is not the latest version, you could try using it, or myAlbum-p
Links: MyLinks (core module)
Downloads: WF-Downloads or MyDownloads (core module)

Just as an aside, what particular issues are you having with Geeklog? Was there any feature (or features) that you are looking for in XOOPS?

Kainaij
  • 2005/5/30 11:44

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

I can recommend the following modules:
News Article Management: News 1.3

Why not recommend AMS 2.41 too? IMO it is superior.

lanside
  • 2006/3/3 23:13

• lanside

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/2 2

Quote:
Just as an aside, what particular issues are you having with Geeklog? Was there any feature (or features) that you are looking for in XOOPS?
:ackbarr

ackbarr,

Sorry to resurect an old thread here.... but have you ever worked with Geeklog and tried to apply security fixes to multiple GL sites? Which, by the way, means you have to update each and every install of GL because there is no manageable multisite configuration for it. Also note that most updates pretty much required a re-install and migration of settings in your config.php.

Don't get me wrong, GL is great if you're just running a single site, for a family blog say. As a matter of fact, I know one of the lead developers personally and have been running GL for a few years before I out grew it.

But if you get into multisite hosting, there are better CMS' (xoops anyone? or drupal?) out there for that.

LS.net

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits