cuckston
Subscription Service Comming
  • 2005/5/15 22:17

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

I have some good news. I have finally got round to getting a programmer to build us a subscription service for XOOPS that would initially be intergrated to Paypal but will also be availble for 2checkout, nochex and other payment systems.

This script is costing me some money and i am making this a part contribution to xoops, however i find that i will have to charge a very low price just to cover my costs. I believe that $10 for the script should be surfice. I would like to know if you are interested in this though. The script will work as follows:

- Buyer clicks on "Register"
- Buyer gets told about subscription
- Buyer gets sent to PayPal
- Buyer pays subscription
- A new username and password is created for the user
- The buyer is sent the new username and password
- The Admin gets sent details of the new user.

I will also have a mod in which there will be 2 groups, free and paid. When a user registers they get automatically put into the free group and is limited to the pages that you set. However, they will have the option to upgrade. Once paid through paypal they will be automatically boosted up to the paid group.

Please let me know of your thoughts to this.

pod
Re: Subscription Service Coming
  • 2005/5/15 22:58

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

ETA?

cuckston
  • 2005/5/15 23:00

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

7-10days hopefully. Would you purchase it?

gtop00
  • 2005/5/15 23:05

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Hello Matthew,

I am very interested to the subscription service script.

I have thow following 3 questions thow:
1. Is the script with the 2 groups mod already active?
2. Is it possible to manually upgrade members to the "paid" group if there is not an automatic payment system?
3. When the "Buyer" (Club member in my case) gets told about subscription, will it be possible to direct him to a "Member Data" module (like Formulaire)?

George

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
7-10days hopefully. Would you purchase it?

Yes!

cuckston
  • 2005/5/15 23:18

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

To answer your 3 questions:

1. You can already create groups within your admin pannel of xoops. You can rename them and choose what members go in what group.

2. As i answered in the first question, you will be able to move users from group to group with ease within your admin panel.

3. I'm afraid i am not familiar with the formulaire module. What is it you would like to do?

Many thanks

gtop00
  • 2005/5/15 23:27

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi again,

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
3. I'm afraid i am not familiar with the formulaire module. What is it you would like to do?

Tomorrow I am going to send you a detailed E-mail explaining what I exactly need for the my (any) club having subscriptions for its members.

I am very sorry but it is too late here to do it now!

Regards
George

gtop00
  • 2005/5/15 23:38

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
To answer your 3 questions:

1. You can already create groups within your admin pannel of xoops. You can rename them and choose what members go in what group.

2. As i answered in the first question, you will be able to move users from group to group with ease within your admin panel.

Many thanks

I know that and this is what I am doing right now.

In short, I need an automated subscription system with additional member's data... more tomorrow!

Regards

cuckston
  • 2005/5/16 9:57

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Anyone else got anything else to say about this project? I would appreciate some feedback!

tjnemez
  • 2005/5/16 10:53

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

this is good news and i am willing to pay $10 for the script.

Herko
  • 2005/5/16 11:08

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This is a very nice project indeed Thanks for taking up this challenge.

I have a question tho: have you thought about the license of this module/script? As you can read in this forum thread and this FAQ entry, the XOOPS project's interpretation of the use of the GPL license is that when a script depends on XOOPS code that is released under the GNU GPL 2.0 license to function (read: can't function without it), it is considered to be a 'derived work' of the XOOPS system, and therefore should be licensed under the GNU GPL 2.0.

I am not sure, but it seems like what you're describing needs the XOOPS codes to function properly. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but I am guessing that you want to restrict the people that buy your subscription script for $10 from distributing it for free to the rest of the world. And the GNU GPL does not allow you to put any restrictions on the use of the code.

This post is not meant to stop you from doing what you're trying to do, but to introduce another way to get something back from the investment you have made, or are making.

What about requesting for investors: people who donate funds for you to have the module developed. And when you have enough, you release the module for everyone to use. That way you'd be within the limits of the GNU GPL, contributing to the community, AND we introduce a new way of getting modules developed, commercially. The main point here is that selling the code is not the way to go in an open source community, but selling services (like development, but also design, implemntation, hosting, customisation, training, support) is the future.

So, to summarize: ask for investors, give them some room to add features for their money, and when you have enough, you release the module. You can always ask for donations with the released module, but do not restict how people can use and distribute the code.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits