thebigkk
Server memory question
  • 2005/2/16 9:02

• thebigkk

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/10/27

I installed phpsysinfo and notice that the amount of ram used sits at about 96-98% of the 512 available. Is this normal? will the server use all the memory that is available to it?
The site takes a while to load, and I am not sure how many other sites are hosted on the same server.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers

jdseymour
Re: Server memory question

Hi just visited your site, it loaded fairly quickly with my 3mb download connection. That percentage does seem a little high, and depending on the number of sites sharing and the traffic to those sites the amount of ram could be fairly low too.

A better indicator would be the server load. High CPU cycles will slow a connection dramatically. Memory, depending on the operating system and actual load, can be freed to load more data automatically, so the figures in some ways could be misleading.

I just recently switched host due to high serverloads, and site load times in excess of 2 minutes. Sometimes hosting companies will put too many sites on one server instead of adding another to even the load. One high volume of miconfigured site could cause problems for the rest also. But such is the life of shared (and cheap) hosting.

My new host had some delay in setting up my account, which worried me until the explained they were adding a new server for my site. Been very happy since then.

Here is an example of what my server is currently running at:

Server Load 0.05 (1 cpu)
Memory Used 33.8 %
Swap 0.992 %

Good luck, any continual problems contact your host for resolution. Most will like very much to keep you happy.

thebigkk
  • 2005/2/16 10:20

• thebigkk

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for the quick reply JD. ANy ideas on how i can get some more detail on the server. Such as the server loadf that you mentioned.
If i remember, there is a php script that will give a whole range of detail? any ideas on what that might be?

Also I live in Australia, and the site is hosted in the US which may be part of the delay in loading of pages.

Cheers

jdseymour

Not sure of a script I use cPanel to get my stats.

brash
  • 2005/2/16 11:02

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I use Cacti to monitor all my server resources. Very complex, but VERY flexible in what you are able to monitor, and how.

thebigkk
  • 2005/2/16 11:42

• thebigkk

• Not too shy to talk

Unfortunatley the server i'm on doesn't use Cpanel. so no way of seeing that data with the panel I have.

Does anyone know of a script that will pull that info from the server?

Cheers

Login

Who's Online

273 user(s) are online (185 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 273

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits