luftikus143
Distributed Portal

Hi there,

before digging down into the realm of XOOPS, I would like the users of XOOPS to ask a question:

We have set up a site with dealing with global statistical data, enabling the display in form of maps, graphs and tables. (http://geodata.grid.unep.ch/ ) This works with PHP, the data are stored in a MySQL database.

We are planning to start the developement of a national (and regional) site, which would be more or less the same thing as the "global" one, but would offer only the national resp. regional view of the data (and some additional functionality).

Now, the question coming up always is that of maintenance of the code. What if the developer (me) of the global site does some changes in the code (we have some 50 files with each between 100 and 1000 lines). How can it be reflected in the national/regional versions as well?

I thought about each Portal retrieving common bits and pieces of a centralized database, thus having only one place to up-date.

Does this make sense and does XOOPS offer such functionality?

What do you think? Comments most welcome!

Thanks to everyone!

DonXoop
Re: Distributed Portal

I can comment on just one part of this. A custom module to handle this would be really nice but barring that this is an idea:

If your data sets are kept on the big server and maintained there under a content module that serves the purpose and allows for selective RSS feeds you can use that to feed the other sites without duplication. Something like categories where you place data grouped by the regions (having content in multiple categories as required would be very useful).

On the sub sites you can use an RSS app to present the relevant data set excerpts because you have configured it to pull only the categories that apply to that site. To get the details you are then directed to the main site where the data is actually maintained.

Issues arise when you require authentication to either pull the feeds or view the details once a user is redirected to the main site. Cross site authentication using LDAP might help here.

Building the actual sites without too much duplication in maintenance is another topic worth discussing. I have a not so different need for this myself.

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits