selwyn
Slow loading frontpage
  • 2005/1/28 10:01

• selwyn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/18

Hello,

Since 4 days my frontpage is slow loading. It took 28 sec. to load the page. Other subpages took <1 sec. to load.
What could be my problem ?

I hope someone can help me out.

See www.halonline.nl for the situation.

jdseymour
Re: Slow loading frontpage

First, especially if it is on a shared hosting server I would look at the server load. High CPU cycles generated by you or another site on the server could slow things like this.

Another thing to look at is the database queries taking place as the page loads. The sites front page looks pretty full and could generate a lot of queries. Enable MySQL Debug Mode to see the queries that take place and the time to load. Perhaps setting cache on some static items on the front page could help.

If you need help enabling this mode see my Tutorial on this subject.

HTH.

selwyn
  • 2005/1/28 11:06

• selwyn

• Just popping in

But why are the other subsites so fast?
Only the frontpage will take long. When i install a other startmodule the time is also 28 sec.

I have installed cache, but he seems not to recognize it when i do mysql/blocks debug.

jdseymour

It can depend greatly on the number of queries for your startpage compared to a subpage. I have heard to try to keep the number of queries to around 50. My site, with a dedicated SQL server loads 112 queries in .4 seconds.

You could also try Smarty Debug, It could give you information on what is exactly taking so long to load.

Did you enable module wide, or block cache?

selwyn
  • 2005/1/28 11:22

• selwyn

• Just popping in

And Block cache and module cache.
I will look for smarty debug.

Also if i click on HOME, i can get back to the frontpage. I have updated tot 2.0.9 but it not seems to work. I have changed nothing, but the problem is playing since a few days.

Thanks so far!

carnuke
  • 2005/1/28 14:30

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Do you have a stats javascript or CGI script running in theme.html? These can slow things down.

Also your top banner logos are too large over 100kb for the 2 images. Other images don't look that well optimised either. This can all slow the process of your first page load, untill its cached.

John's comments are very important as well, your page took nearly 1 minute on dialup. Most surfers would click on before it loaded, I think.

check your images, queries and other scripts that may be loading.

DonXoop

Besides the overload in image size and content you need to look at any content that is pulled from other sources. While I waited for the page I saw other site URLs trying to pull content and that seemed to be the biggest delay.

Caching always helps but if images or content is coming directly from other sites the cache won't help. Caching only stores the logic and local content, not content from other sources.

Stats, images, scripts, ads, etc that are forced to come from other servers appears to be the bigger problem. Turn off some things and see which one is the bottleneck.

selwyn
  • 2005/1/28 16:16

• selwyn

• Just popping in

Thanks.

The problem is clear. It seems the RSS feed is making problems. It's fixed.

many thanks for helping me out!

takao
  • 2005/1/29 1:28

• takao

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
First, especially if it is on a shared hosting server I would look at the server load. High CPU cycles generated by you or another site on the server could slow things like this.

Another thing to look at is the database queries taking place as the page loads. The sites front page looks pretty full and could generate a lot of queries. Enable MySQL Debug Mode to see the queries that take place and the time to load. Perhaps setting cache on some static items on the front page could help.

HTH.

kiwiguy
  • 2005/1/29 3:54

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Quote:

takao wrote:
Quote:

jdseymour wrote:

HTH.

takao if you cannot help there is no need for such posts at least JD is making a constructive effort in trying to help this member.

If you can offer help offer it if not do not sit there and make wisecracks.

regards
kiwiguy

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits