skyscreamer
MySQL access problem or configuration problem?
  • 2005/1/26 19:11

• skyscreamer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/24

I posted this on the newbie forum as well, because I'm quite new to this and thought that it applied to both categories.

Currently, I have installed MySQL, PHP, and Xoops. The install went off with no errors, and I can view the site from the internet as well as my intranet. I can change themes with no problem as well as install new ones not included.

However, I'm having problems with the modules and I'm not sure where the problem lies. I can install the modules, and I do not get any compiling errors, however they do not work. I try to post news, and when I submit I just get another post entry page without any actual posting occurring. I installed newbb 2.0 and when I try to create forums, it states there is a database error. I installed the web links and when I try to access the "Create Category" it just reloads the Web Links administration menu.

The only thing I can imagine is that there is either a database or file permission issue going on somewhere.

I am using:
Server 2003
IIS 6.0
php 5.0.3 installed manually
Xoops 2.0.9
MySQL 4.1.9

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

mortis
Re: MySQL access problem or configuration problem?
  • 2005/2/2 22:50

• mortis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/1 1

Hi there,

I have just now tried to upgrade my PHP to PHP5.0.3 but for some reason my XOOPS stopped functioning. Do you have any great advise as to what I should do?

My setup is identical to yours:

IIS 6
PHP 5.0.3
MYSQL 4.1.9
Xoops 2.0.9.2

All was working fine after upgrading to MySQL 4.1.9 but not after upgrading the PHP. I used the installer to set it up. Maybe Im lacking part of the config??

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

jdseymour

Isn't there a patch required to use version 4.1x of MySQL?

upsadaz
  • 2005/2/5 20:10

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

I am having a problem also after upgrading PHP an MySQL.This is what I get now on all my XOOPS sites:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CLONE, expecting T_STRING in /home/.sites/148/site16/web/kernel/object.php on line 528
None of my sites are working now that I have MySQl 4.1.7 and latest PHP.

What do I do to make this work? The new security issues with MySQL have to be kept up with.

There is the worm threat with MySQL to consider too:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39185529,00.htm

Any answers out there? Thanks!

jdseymour

It seems that the worm only affects MySQL servers running on windows machines with weak root passwords.

But check the version of Zend Optimizer that you are using, the latest version is needed when upgrading PHP.

DonXoop

As mentioned this only affects Windows based MySQL servers that have weak root passwords. But it also requires that MySQL be available to the internet (listening port). There is no reason ever for the database to be listening on the internet interface. If you have a firewall then be sure that only the web port (80 and optionaly other ports that you must have) are allowed past the firewall. Never allow MySQL to be connected to by any machine that isn't required.

.Firewall blocks everything but what is really needed.
.MySQL has real passwords.
.Applications (xoops) doesn't use the root account.
.MySQL accounts are limited to the hosts that need to connect (not %).

So to answer the original question, back off the PHP and MySQL to working versions and you should be o.k.

upsadaz
  • 2005/2/5 20:51

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

Thank you jdseymour and DonXoops.

I gotcha. Will do.

P.S.
You guys (especially the ones with the quick replies ) are #1.

m0nty
  • 2005/2/5 20:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

u could also search the forum for MySQL 4.1.7 using the wonderful search feature in the right column..

there you will have found threads such as This

and This

the 2nd 1 mightr be of interest as it mentions about turning long_arrays on in php 5

and btw, XOOPS is not fully PHP 5 compatible (you should ideally use php 4 if you want reliability), you might not have problems as such, but some modules might not work right..

upsadaz
  • 2005/2/5 21:02

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for the info, m0nty.

Yes I did a search and ran across this thread, but yours are so much more concise to my problem.

I have decide to take your advice and roll back to previous working versions for the sake of my sanity.

Thanks to everyone for your desperately needed words of wisdom.

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits