guardian2k1
Re: AMS 2.2 *again*

Since m0nty helped out with the templates I've had no further issues with AMS. Although having a full article (5 pages long) display when you click AMS can make your modem smoke a little:)

jdseymour

Use [ extend] tag to make a tagline then use [ pagebreak] to break up your articles into pages.

m0nty
  • 2005/1/28 5:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

hehe i bet it does.. lol

my modem seems to smoke everytime there's a thunder storm.. the last 1 took out my lightning arrestor and my modem.. the lightning actually struck the telegraph pole outside my house.. (i now have a box full of spare modems in the cellar just in case)

guardian2k1

I take that back:P

Cavan
  • 2005/1/28 5:54

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/28

Seems we've strayed off-topic here and I'm still getting nowhere getting this module to work properly...

Quote:

brash wrote:

...I suggest uninstalling, reinstalling and not using this option. I'll have a look at getting this fixed for a future version of AMS...the submit form is not templated, and what is displayed there depends on the user permission levels so you won't be able to alter that without modifying code.

brash:

First, thanks for the information on editing the templates. I've gotten rid of "rate article" (and image) in both ams_article.html and ams_title.html. I've also removed "edit | links" from ams_article.html.
However, I don't see your point in stating "...what is displayed there depends on the user permission levels...": If this were so, then shouldn't there be an option in the AMS 2.2 module to NOT display the banner/sponsor box, and the "Display Topic Image?", "Position", "Publish in Home?", and "Audience" options in the submit form? User permissions seem to have absolutely no bearing on what's visually displayed in the submit form. Or is it possible the download version I have is faulty? Am I missing something here? Regardless, I'd still like to get rid of these options and if someone can point in me in the right direction to do this, then I'll have at it.
As soon as I post this, I'm going to try your suggestions on uninstalling/reinstalling and not using the "auto approve" option to see what happens. But, I need to know if I should allow only Webmasters permssions in the "Approve" permission, or if Registered Users should be allowed this as well (denying Registered Users this permission didn't work the first time around).

Quote:

malexandria wrote:

I was having the same trouble and it turned out to be a simple permsissions problem on my template and theme directory which was set to 755 instead of 777.

malexandria:

This is not the problem---both of these directories are set to 777---but thanks for your input.

Quote:

m0nty wrote:

...but maybe was i always set preferences 1st after installing a module, then i configure the topics and category's etc and then do the rest.. but preferences i always configure 1st of all.. i dunno if that makes a difference..

m0nty:

Normally, I follow the same route with setting preferences before doing anything else. However, with this module, doing things this way seemed to make a difference...and I couldn't post at all doing things as I normally do. I followed brash's instructions to create topics first, set permissions and then set preferences. I can now post as admin or a registered user, but I cannot post without first previewing the article to be posted, which was the issue strayed from (no offense intended against your input, but the issue is still not resolved).

I'll give it another go...

m0nty
  • 2005/1/28 6:07

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

ok fair enough.. seems strange tho as it all works fine for me, and i haven't made any modifications to the code or anything..

you've tried news 1, news2 (news 1 clone), news 1.2.1 and now AMS and none of them seem to work right for you.. I'm definitely not saying it's anything you have done wrong, far from it.. but something doesn't seem right :S as all those modules are used by many without problems..

if this 1 keeps failing, i think we oughta start looking into what other reasons there might be.. (module conflicts with each other etc, or server configs, setups etc etc) as your problems all seem to be during submitting.. it certainly seems strange :| and i can't think of anything to suggest at mo..

Cavan
  • 2005/1/28 6:28

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

Okay, here's what happened...

3rd attempt at AMS 2.2:

1. Deactivated/Uninstalled/Reinstalled AMS 2.2 module (cleared templates_c folder before reinstalling).

2. Set Topics first (same as before), then Permissions (same as before), and then Preferences (disabled uploads and comments only).

3. Same results: I can only post an article if I preview it first.

4th attempt at AMS 2.2:

1. Deactivated/Uninstalled/Reinstalled AMS 2.2 module (cleared templates_c folder before reinstalling).

2. Set Preferences first (disabled uploads and comments only), then Topics (same as before), and then Permissions (same as before).

3. Same results: I can only post an article if I preview it first.

So, I'm still stuck with the problem...

Quote:

m0nty wrote:

...you've tried news 1, news2 (news 1 clone), news 1.2.1 and now AMS and none of them seem to work right for you.. I'm definitely not saying it's anything you have done wrong, far from it.. but something doesn't seem right :S as all those modules are used by many without problems...

m0nty:

I agree with your assessment...And as I stated previously, none of these problems appeared before I first emptied my templates_c folder. As far as server issues, I spent about a week emailing back and forth with my webhost about this issue before I presented the problem here in the XOOPS forums. My host states they have made no changes or upgrades (there aren't any---my Cpanel data is the same as its been since November) and the issue with the submit.php could not be reproduced from their end (they had no problems submitting a post using my admin login details, from the submit.php file).
Reflecting on malexandria's point about permissions, I'm beginning to wonder if the permissions in the modules/AMS directory are incorrect:

modules/AMS 755
modules/AMS/images/topics 777

Is this correct?

Cavan
  • 2005/1/28 6:37

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

Just a thought but should I post my submit.php files here for someone to look at? I just tried using the News 1.21 module again but the same thing happens: I cannot post without previewing the article first.

m0nty
  • 2005/1/28 6:46

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:
and the issue with the submit.php could not be reproduced from their end (they had no problems submitting a post using my admin login details, from the submit.php file).

so they posted on your site using your login details? and it worked for them?

if that's the case have u got a link where i can try from here? i'm beginning to maybe think it's a browser problem or something else on your pc that maybe interfering..

can u try at all with a different browser?

Cavan
  • 2005/1/28 7:11

• Cavan

• Friend of XOOPS

Something weird just happened:

After posting (with preview of course) a few articles using the reactivated News 1.21 module, I deactivated News 1.21 and reactivated AMS 2.2. I posted a few articles (with preview of course) and then decided to delete them from admin under Manage Articles...What I saw was that there were three articles listed that I'd just posted using the News 1.21 module...this isn't right, is it? Should one news module display the articles from another? It didn't really hit me until I deleted the last of them but it doesn't seem right to me...

m0nty:

As far as this being a browser issue, I doubt it: If you're meaning a cache issue, then that cannot be the case, because (as I've previously mentioned) I've used an erasing utility to wipe all temporary files from IE 6 and the issue still remains. If it's something else, I don't know. Anyway, I'll send a pm with a test account (site is not live yet) that you can use to determine if it's something on my pc causing this or whatever else it may be.
Thank you.

(I'm off to bed, so I will check back later today/tonight)

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits