vinit
Koivi Editor Vs Html Area
  • 2004/12/28 7:14

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Hi,

Recently we have seen two good content development IDEs. both seems to have same functions, Can someone tell me which one is widely acceptable and easy to install.

~Edit
And a newone fckeditor
http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/forum/forum.php?forum_id=754

Any updates in this regard. Again no docs :(

vinit
Re: Koivi Editor Vs Html Area
  • 2004/12/28 11:02

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

buzz

wammes
  • 2004/12/28 12:08

• wammes

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 1

As far as I know all those editors are all the same. Every editor claims to be cross-browser compatible. In the XOOPS land wysiwyg editors are new things. Samuels created a XOOPS port of the koivi editor. Phpp has recently made a draft how to implement different editors using one frame in xoops. If they decide to add this to the core, more of those editors can be hooked into xoops.
Currently you have to do it with the draft from phpp, spaw and koivi.
I don't know which one is 'widely acceptable' nowadays. I think in the near future you can choose which editor will suit your taste; they are all the same.
There aren't that much docs around because you cannot easily connect them to different modules. This should be something build in the xoopscore. So you'd better wait till the next version of XOOPS and hope they added phpp's draft to the core.

And btw, do a forum search on editors. You'll be amazed what has been discussed about this topic.

vinit
  • 2005/1/1 18:11

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

I am more confused with which one of this three to use. Some of this cross browser editors stops the http redirect, thus after everypost i have to click on "here" to see the next page. Its strange buts its true, i have read about this misbehaviour with FF in few other topics too.

Peekay
  • 2005/1/1 19:22

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Only HTMLArea works on PC and Mac (Firefox and IE on PC, Firefox in Mac OSX). I don't know if Koivi will work on a Mac, but to me it looks to be the best choice for XOOPS because it enables images to be used from the Image Manager. Koivi is however still in development and AFAIK doesn't automatically work with every module.

You *can* get SPAW editor module that (I believe) works for every XOOPS module with a textarea field, but you have to hack some code in each module.

Having a 'proper' wysiwyg editor built in to XOOPS is high on my wish list. My vote is for Koivi, however I agree with wammes that a search will reveal more on this issue.

vinit
  • 2005/1/10 10:08

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

fckeditor ?? any update about how to use this.

I still feel that the core should come with one of this editors so that basic modules like news, newbb, wfsection, articles, faq etc can use by default.

other wise each module will call for hacks.

whats the plan for this in 2.1

arpboy
  • 2005/1/26 14:32

• arpboy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 4

One thing I've noticed is that I've had a hard time getting tables to work with any editor except Spaw. The only problem is that the Spaw currently tied to XOOPS is IE-only. Their separate version on their website works with Gecko-based browser, but there's not yet been a port into Xoops.

My personal favorite is Koivi, but as has been noted, it's still pretty early for it.

I agree with the other posts; a good editor (or good hooks for all editors) should be near the top of the list; a content management system needs an excellent way to manually add content; the editor hooks would be the right way to do that.

arpboy
  • 2005/1/26 19:29

• arpboy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 4

One more update:

I just updated my Koivi to the current (1.0.3) version. Table problem solved. Works great.

jorgebarrero

No matter what editor is beeing used I think that it is not a good policy to include and editor on the same window where other data is beeing proceced.

For example: Wf-sections uses the spaw editor.

I woul prefer thar all data bur the page itself would be displayed... then if I want to edit the content of the html. It should have a button that calls a new window with whatever editor be configured at the XOOPS core level.

This way of implementing the editor have very much advantages. Any field containig html text coul be directly called and worked out without spending time on rendering an editor than many times is not as fast as it should be.

you can concentrate on the other fields and not wait until all the toolbars are redrawn.

I saw this strategy on a mailing software and I really think is worth thinking on it.

Jorge

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits