mballou
Multiple Modules
  • 2004/12/8 19:03

• mballou

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/18

Our school system was looking for a portal site to replace our static web site. XOOPS had a number of modules that really fit the bill and right out of the box (Modular, Calendar(added), news etc). Anyway, we have multiple Schools and therefore we need multiple modules, like "tiny content" repeated for each school . I did not seem to find or maybe just did not understand if this was Cloning of modules?

FYI - Also we are modifying the OBS_Green them to OBS_Blue
or attempting to if anyone wants to help out, let me know.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Matt

rajanurs
Re: Multiple Modules
  • 2004/12/9 11:57

• rajanurs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

I think it would be better to host separate sub-domain sites for different schools. All these sub-domains can be created from a single hosting account. Each sub-site will have a separate XOOPS with the modules.

Your main school site can have certain modules for content common to all schools.

There are some obvious dis-advantages in this method: more administration tasks, requires separate registrations, etc but the advantage is you can delegate the sites admin and content development to separate teams in a more secure manner.

tedsmith
  • 2004/12/9 12:02

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Why not just allocate appropriate categories for each school. For example, in the News module, have categories

School 1
School 2
School 3

etc? You can do this for most XOOPS modules in one form or another and set appropriate user groups so that only users Group 'School 1' has access to School 1 stuff, etc. This would allow much better maintenance of your site and be easier to manage and probably use. Have I misunderstood your concerns in the first place (quite likely)?

Alan-A
  • 2004/12/9 12:22

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

maybe the OBSS Classroom Module is of interest - you find it here

Good Luck,

Alan

DonXoop

Assuming that the needs are similar across schools I like the category solution for things like news, forums, etc. This way you can have the divisions you need while supporting common information without duplication across multiple sites.

Duplicating modules like tinycontent is an easy way to have a lot of information organized by school.

There are some tricks in presentation too like using groups to offer different content depending on a user's group membership. The weak spot when having a lot of users is managing those users in groups but that I'm sure is being worked on.

mballou
  • 2004/12/14 1:36

• mballou

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/18

Thanks for your help. I think I am going the multiple XOOPS sites with similar look and feel by changing color scheme.

Login

Who's Online

113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 113

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits