xahvtec
SPECIAL user download priviledges!!!!
  • 2004/12/2 6:18

• xahvtec

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/2

hey guys. first, im a HUGE fan of xoops!!! i use XOOPS on all the forum based sites that ive owned and operated throughout the past couple of years.

my issue is this, on one of my sites, i only want specific individuals allowed to download "private" files without granting download files to the regular "registered" users, but at the same time allowing the regular users to download other types of files.

when i started this site i used XOOPS 1.0 or something like that and it has stayed that way.

i personally paid someone to come up with a mod to do this "download" mod for me and it works ONLY with this OLD version of xoops.

obviously there are many bugs in this version and my website has grown to accomodate thousands of users.

BOTTOM LINE: I would LOVE for someone to develop a mod where i can grant specific download priviledges on particular files to some users and not others.

As you can imagine i cant upgrade from XOOPS 1.0 because of this problem and the script which i paid someone to alter to my needs cant upgrade properly. even if i have to add these special users one by one to a new type of group it would be worth my time and effort...

i really need an upgrade BADLY! i wanna get the most out of my site and i want my users to get the most out of it too.

if anyone could help it would be more than appreciated!!!

please respond and/or email me...

thanks!

irmtfan
Re: SPECIAL user download priviledges!!!!
  • 2004/12/2 6:32

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

you are in a BAD and special pickle. a dynamic and most active site must be upgrade to a last version always.
if you cant upgrade your site what is the reason for using a dynamic CMS? you can paid someone to build a site for you.
now you have problem with download management and in the future when fantastic versions of XOOPS come out you see many abilities and facilities in them so its really better for you to going to upgrade.
btw if you could upgrade your site to last versions there is alot of modules waiting for you.e.g. for download management you have wf-downloads a powerful , easy to use , and full base on group management for any category and aby file
best wishes

xahvtec
  • 2004/12/2 6:48

• xahvtec

• Just popping in

i understand your point...unfortunately, at the time there was no other way to separate different users and the permissions for downloads. you see, some users were paying users, hence why they had to have access to specific files. the regular and non contributing members would not have access to these files...

i could always revert the script back to its original state but that wouldnt be fair to the paying users since the regular users would now have access to the private files.

are you saying with the latest upgrades for the download modules i can grant these permissions that i am requesting?

thanks for your replies!

irmtfan
  • 2004/12/2 6:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

@ #2:
yes wfdownloads have all your needs for permissions to each file and each category and has more featurs.see module repository at this site.

xahvtec
  • 2004/12/2 6:59

• xahvtec

• Just popping in

okay please bear with me one last time.

if i got this right, by instaling this module you are sure that i can grant download permissions to some users while denying the same downloads to other users simutaneously?

ive been waiting years for this solution...

you input is worth gold....

thanks

Mithrandir

or www.wf-projects.com

xahvtec
  • 2004/12/2 7:07

• xahvtec

• Just popping in

thanks Mithrandir for your assistance in locating this site.

although i am currently reading through it...do you know first hand if this upgrade can accomplish what i need?

carnuke
  • 2004/12/2 8:36

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
if i got this right, by instaling this module you are sure that i can grant download permissions to some users while denying the same downloads to other users simutaneously?

Lets be clear ... its the group you set permissions for, not individual users. You need to set up as many groups as you need, to divide your users into different priviledges, then assign each group of users the specific permissions.

wfdownload goes one step further here ... each download item can be included or excluded in any group. Just install it and use it, best way to test really .

xahvtec
  • 2004/12/2 13:02

• xahvtec

• Just popping in

a big thanks to this site and everyone associated with this thread!!!

you guys all rock!

davidl2
  • 2004/12/2 21:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Yes - basically if you have a group set up for users who are allowed to download, you can grant access just to them.

Ordinary users will be unable to.

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits