usera
How to show an additional column only on the front?
  • 2004/11/24 23:30

• usera

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/28

I want to add another column to the front page but only show on the front page. Since there's only settings for 5 columns... How do I go about doing this?

brash
Re: How to show an additional column only on the front?
  • 2004/11/24 23:50

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Not easily I wouldn't think. A custome template might do the trick. I've never tried doing what you're asking though.

intel352
  • 2004/11/25 0:08

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

are you wanting an additional column to display blocks?

just wondering, but is left, right, center-left, center-center, center-right not suitable?

if you could describe in detail what you're trying to achieve, we might be able to come up with a solution for ya

usera
  • 2004/11/25 2:41

• usera

• Just popping in

I guess I was thinking of a 4 column design.

I wanted to add a somewhat static column for ads or a banner. however I didn't want to display it on every page and wondering if I could take use of the block display options but I guess that's a block feature...

DonXoop

First thing to remember is that just because the block positions say left/right/center etc. it doesn't mean that is where they must go. Your theme determines where things go. So if you happen to not be using one position on any pages you could use that position for creative positioning.

A more practical solution might be to first capture with an if/then in your theme that you are at the home page (or any other particular page) and then place static content where you need it and that could be a 4th column.

You have to watch your tag logic so that you don't create a mess that some browsers won't render properly.

I do the opposite where I trap in my theme that I'm in the photo gallery module and if so I don't output the left column blocks. This solved my need to be able to set "All Pages" for some left blocks but hide them when in the gallery.

intel352
  • 2004/11/25 3:10

• intel352

• Module Developer

2 solutions i can think of:

1. edit your theme, and move the $xoops_banner variable (or whatever it's named) to the html column location that you would like it to appear in, and manage your banners using the XOOPS banner administration, then implement a hack into the code to display or not display the banner based on the module name

or

2. put the banner html into a block and display it on whatever module pages you prefer.

usera
  • 2004/11/25 3:24

• usera

• Just popping in

hrm. The creative use of banner is interesting. I'll look into that.

I'm aware of the center (left/right/center) but there's a good reason I don't want to touch because that's the main content area that's useful for a large column. Whereas i'm looking for an additional 3 smaller columns but there's only 2 available.

intel352
  • 2004/11/25 3:30

• intel352

• Module Developer

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
I do the opposite where I trap in my theme that I'm in the photo gallery module and if so I don't output the left column blocks. This solved my need to be able to set "All Pages" for some left blocks but hide them when in the gallery.

i do the same thing with my themes, hiding the right-column blocks on some modules, so that i can display across all pages (which means the blocks will still display on the User Profile page, and private messages, etc, which is what i need)

usera
  • 2004/11/25 3:33

• usera

• Just popping in

I hope XOOPS will implement a mambo way of organizing blocks. That way it'll be easier to template with alot of flexibility.

intel352
  • 2004/11/25 3:45

• intel352

• Module Developer

agreed, mambo block management is definitely superior. devs are working on revamping the XOOPS block system, though, so hopefully it won't be too much longer before we have a more intuitive and comprehensive system in place

Login

Who's Online

112 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 112

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits