michieltokyo
Multilanguage Japanese/English

Dear xoopers.. Long time no see.

I have been working very hard on our non-profit website http://www.english2day.com and its come along way!

Partly due to Marcans amazing help to us!

We ran into a big problem just now, we use multilanguage module from marcan and it works fine! BUT the Japanese characters or the chinese characters in the XOOPS parts dont show up correct.. check it out http://www.english2day.com

When I make a block and type Japanese text it will show up perfect no problem, but when I change to japanese the things like

User Menu View Account Edit Account Notifications etc

are not correctly displayed in Japanese (they are when I select english french or spanish) but with Arabic, Japanese and Chinese it becomes non-sense!

Please someone help us!

kokito
Re: Multilanguage Japanese/English
  • 2004/11/21 2:42

• kokito

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/21

Your character encoding seems to be messed up.

AFAIK, all Japanese text in XOOPS expects EUC-JP encoding, the source HTML on the pages of your site show that SJIS encoding is being used. I am not sure how to do it, but if you change your site encoding to EUC-JP, I am quite sure that your problems will be gone.

Good luck!

michieltokyo

ANYONE knows how to change the encoding?

daddystu
  • 2004/11/24 13:27

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Got a reply to a similar question from chado

they said...

Quote:
daddystu,

you need to install the japanese language pack if you really want to do japanese. If you just want to occasionally have japanese on your site, you need to change the page encoding from english to a japanese encoding. This is found in the language/English/global.php file. Toward the bottom you can change the character set. For example I changed mine to: define('_CHARSET', 'EUC-JP');

You can see the result at our church home page here.

I can confim that that will indeed change the encoding although I am still not 100% sure at all about EUC being the asnwer, we are using Shift-JIS right now and it seeeeems to work ok...anyway, please give it a go.

がんばって
ganbatte

いつでも聞いてください
itsudemo kiite kudasai

daddystu
  • 2004/11/24 13:46

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

To clarify,
I also changed the language to 'ja'

AGain, sorry, I am not sure if this helps or not, but so far it has worked for postings on the bulletin board (newBB2) and also a dictionary module and the 'Tutorials' module....

Login

Who's Online

332 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 332

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits