• 2004/11/9 1:51

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

Currently the Xoops' template layout is as follow:

Resized Image

Is it possible to improve it to be like this:

Resized Image

By doing that I can have the Latest Comment block, for example, at the bottom of the page (utilizing the full width of the center column area).

Currently most of the XOOPS site use the:
leftcolumn | centerCcolumn | rightcolumn

which probably due to the limitation above.

smdcom
Re:Improving the Xoops Standard Template Layout

if i'm not wrong, you have to edit your theme.html.

menochi
  • 2004/11/9 4:15

• menochi

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/28

XOOPS has (at this very moment) five (5) columns. If you need to put a CCColumn 2 (eg at the bottom of the center) you have to create a "virtual" column (or block) number 6 in a direct HTML in your theme.html.

That`s just an idea

Bassman
  • 2004/11/9 4:19

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

You do, but you can't have CenterCenter column twice, or you'll end up with the same content twice too. What you can do is move the position of the $xoops_contents (look for <div id="content"><{$xoops_contents}></div>) which is where your main module contents will be displayed, such as News, forums, etc. In the standard themes, they come under any other blocks.

karedokx
  • 2004/12/29 14:29

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

i'm still trying to get this work

Resized Image

what i have in mind is something like this (as described in the above picture): i will set some of the blocks' weight, i want to put in the centercentercolumn1, with weight below 50 (for example) and the blocks i want to put in the centercentercolumn2 with weight 50 and above.

the theme file will probably be as follow:

<!-- Start center-center column1 blocks loop -->
FOR CENTER-CENTER BLOCK WITH WEIGHT < 50:
<{foreach item=block from=$xoops_ccblocks}>
<{include file="serialsilat/theme_blockcenter_c.html"}>
<{/foreach}>
<!-- End center-center blocks loop -->

[the code for the center-left blocks loop]
[the code for the center-right blocks loop]

<!-- Start center-center column2 blocks loop -->
FOR CENTER-CENTER BLOCK WITH WEIGHT > 50:
<{foreach item=block from=$xoops_ccblocks}>
<{include file="serialsilat/theme_blockcenter_c.html"}>
<{/foreach}>
<!-- End center-center blocks loop -->

will it be possible? really appreciate your assistance on this. this will be really useful for others too i believe, to allow a XOOPS template as i showed in my 1st post.

thanks.

Herko
Re: Improving the Xoops Standard Template Layout
  • 2004/12/29 14:50

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

nope, at the moment, XOOPS has 5 different positions to offer. You can't make 6 or 7 positions yet. Sorry.

Herko

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/29 15:41

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

I was faced with this same question as a newbie xoopster. In the end, you have to sacrifice a column and place it there (below the content). I ended up using center-left and center-right below whole 'body' table and above the footer. This gave me 100% width for table and 50% for each column (enough space to hold recent posts, comments, etc). Keep in mind that my left-left and right-right columns held little content, or the bottom center-left and center-right table would be pushed down too far.

Most sites have the left-side 'spine' style layout. What if you placed empty cells above the left and right cells in the body table, then made center body cell colspan="2"?

karedokx
  • 2005/1/1 1:24

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

i strongly suggest we add the centercentercolum2 (or another center-center block at the bottom of center-left and center-right) at the next release of xoops, as shown on the following illustration:

Resized Image

this 'simple' addition will bring a whole new range of layouting capability to xoops. currently most of the XOOPS sites (including www.xoops.org) only using the center-center column layout which i believe due to this limitation.

seems to me, it won't need a huge modification. we only need to introdue a new (array) of centerbottom data. in the 'block administration' screen we only need to add a new column:

side
left-centertop-centerbottom-right

this new column addition should be backward compability too.

xoops core developers, really appreciate your feedback on this. i will also put this request in the core feature request tracking.

thanks.
note: furthermore the standard template layout i illustrated above - i believe - is the standard layout capability of most cms.

LazyBadger

I think (except supporting idea), that more flexible and power implementation of layout must have smth. like "User defined" placeholders for blocks. They can be named f.e "user1"-"user2"...-"usern", list of blocks for admin panel can be collected from theme.
I, personally, want to have sometimes "Top" and "Bottom" placeholders (idea stolen from Mambo) - for one block in each location, but as real block, not as static HTML in theme.

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits