• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

which rules apply?

"theme must be original and not edited from existing themes"
or "theme submited include mods from existing themes"

smdcom
Re:Can we run a theme contest?

it's very good idea... hope we'll make this reality..

i'll give my support..

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/30 6:39

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Totally.. I love this idea. I'm not that good with themes, but I'm looking forward to seeing all the themes that will come out of this. OH.. and g-mail account sounds kinda lame for a prize.. I have like 50 invites if anyone wants one.

Anonymous
  • 2004/10/30 7:35

• Anonymous

• Since:

Count me in!

studioC
  • 2004/10/30 7:39

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

very good idea and i will be happy if i can help judging and viewing impression and of course sourcefiles

i've seen some starts doing such a contest during last years and i know it's hard to motivate a community taking part in such a contest.

let me know if i can help!
michael

Herko
  • 2004/10/30 8:09

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hehehehe, I discussed just such an idea a few days ago with Ackbarr This is a great idea, so lets just do it!

What about this: the theme design contest is for a theme that will be included in the next major stable release package of XOOPS: XOOPS 2.2.

The theme needs to show the power and flexibility of the XOOPS system
(note: there will be some changes to themes/templates usage in XOOPS 2.1/2.2, so keep that in mind).
It needs to be validated code (XHTML 1.0 Transitional or XHTML 1.0 Strict, CSS 1.0 and 2.0, and if possible also Section 508 for accessibility, but that's not a must have). This also means that positioning is done with div tags and tabular data is displayed in tables. This does not mean this is only for 'pure CSS' themes.
The theme must load fast and look decent in most browsers (it's almost impossible to have it look the same on all browsers).
Of course the theme must be original and yours. Images can be copyrighted, and we don't want any trouble with people excerising their copyright on one of our standard themes
You can use bits and pieces from other themes of course, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. But stay original.
Make the theme usable for as many people as possible. Since this will be distributed to every new user, starting with a Dolly Parton Fanpage example will most likely not help in the implementation for these new users
The theme must be documented, so new users can learn quickly how to use and modify this theme. The theme must be easily modifyable, changing a logo or color scheme should not break the whole theme. And if it does, it should be documented. Don't document the theme.html and style.css, as they are loaded on every page, but create a separate document or find other creative ways.

Last bust not least, be creative and original!

This is just a proposal, what do you think??

Herko

Anonymous
  • 2004/10/30 8:18

• Anonymous

• Since:

Everything is OK! You can count me in!

But you said that there will be different themes for XOOPS 2.1/2.2. How can we know how to make a theme for 2.2 if we don't have a sample? If themes will work in the same way, then is ok.

Sorry for my english...

limecity
  • 2004/10/30 8:31

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Great!
Popup the news in the frontpage and you can see submission of themes flowing in.

One thing though, how do you submit?
by screenshot or the whole theme itself?
upload? or put up a demo site?

Quote:
The theme must be documented, so new users can learn quickly how to use and modify this theme. The theme must be easily modifyable, changing a logo or color scheme should not break the whole theme. And if it does, it should be documented. Don't document the theme.html and style.css, as they are loaded on every page, but create a separate document or find other creative ways

This could be a problem, most of us may not be programmers. I design my own theme through trial and error. Make a little changes then i preview it to see the diffence. and it goes on and on. Documentation? i might not even understand the coding itself but i know what i am doing.

So what about that kind of situation?

@tvepsorg
Quote:
and g-mail account sounds kinda lame for a prize.. I have like 50 invites if anyone wants one.

Maybe you can contribute it as the COnsolation prizes~? ehehehhehe
Make it as some encouragement for ppl to join, although you might not getting anything if you don't win the first prize.

smdcom

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
This is just a proposal, what do you think??

Herko

interesting... it's sound great to me... may i suggest 1 think.. about the judging.. can we have 2 kind of judge...

1. professional judges (will give 70% of the marks)
2. public judges (will give 30% of the marks)

the public judges can vote by using a poll... and the professional judges are selected.. maybe XOOPS core staff can think who will be the professional judges..

then, we put all the submitted theme into 1 demo site.. so, public have a view and vote the theme in there.. how's that?

Herko
  • 2004/10/30 12:34

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

@limecity: documentation is essential in this. If you created your theme using Dreamweaver or whatever, document the process of doing it in Dreamweaver. The whole point of this excersise is to help other people create more interesting themes...

@smdcom: Sure, and I think a 50/50% professional judges and community judges is good too

herko

Login

Who's Online

261 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 261

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits