Oesie
What is the use of a blog module in xoops?
  • 2004/10/19 16:32

• Oesie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/1 1

I have a general question about the usage of a blog module in xoops. If we look at wat blogging means it comes out to information that one person interests.

A weblog is then a site with al those blogs. So let say I want to turn XOOPS into a weblog site. I could use the news module to blog the articles I want, right? Why should the user prefer a module for blogging?

In my opinion a weblog looks the same like the news module, only the blog module has rss. Ain't that possible with the news also?

And if you have a weblog running, you won't use the news module because this will be in your blogs?

At least if this is true ain't it a good idea to turn those two modules together?

Let me know your opinion because I was searching for a blog module but for me it looks like the same as the news module

Stewdio
Re: What is the use of a blog module in xoops?
  • 2004/10/19 16:44

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I gave up on blog modules becaue the developers fall off the planet. With the news module, I have full control of my 'blog'.

In fact, I was so impressed with the latest news module, I converted my entire site to a blog/image gallery.

Oesie
  • 2004/10/19 17:06

• Oesie

• Just popping in

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:
I gave up on blog modules becaue the developers fall off the planet. With the news module, I have full control of my 'blog'.

In fact, I was so impressed with the latest news module, I converted my entire site to a blog/image gallery.

So you agree that the news module is a kind of blog. At least you can use it as a blog and the news module will keep improving with the XOOPS updates. Due to that it will always work properly.

I think I'll stick to the news module then. Only one thing left behind. I still haven't found a real good picture gallery.

Stewdio
  • 2004/10/19 17:26

• Stewdio

xcGal and myalbum-P come to mind for picture galleries.

Oesie
  • 2004/10/19 17:37

• Oesie

• Just popping in

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:

Yeah I saw xcGal on your page it looks pretty good. myalbum-P is the best I found so far. But xcGal looks better.

//Edit
Got xcGal working and I'm gonna switch to that module right away. That one is really awesome.

Stewdio
Re:What is the use of a blog module in xoops?
  • 2004/10/19 17:40

• Stewdio

I like it best, but it's an administrative nightmare. I wish they would develop this module more.

garbelini
  • 2004/11/11 18:25

• garbelini

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/10

Have you guys ever tried 4images? This is my all-time favorite. I had it running standalone and had it integrated as a module.
I also migrated all my blog entries from b2Blog to XOOPS news.

toddherrold

news is an awesome blog engine for a single user. what many of us want/need is a powerful blog engine for multiple users, i.e., to create a blog community site. this is where XOOPS "falls off the planet." Weblog is a great initial run at multi-user blogs, but if you search on this board, you will find that it appears to be dead and many of us are so very sad about this.

Talis
  • 2005/2/17 4:27

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:

I run XoopsGallery on my site and it's pretty easy to manage and looks good. :)

mongrel
  • 2005/2/22 20:41

• mongrel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/15

In response to the note that Quote:
what many of us want/need is a powerful blog engine for multiple users, i.e., to create a blog community site.
, I'm testing out popnup blog now at my siteLa Perla News. It seems to do the trick fairly well. There are some little issues I have with it, but all in all, very cool.

The main thing about multiple-member blogs has to do with making your site feel like your users home-away-from-home. I want to give my members as many reasons to come and stay as long as possible. Not that I actually have many members yet, but I hope to. If they feel like "their page" is hosted by me, then they develop an attachment.

For me, an online newspaper, News is News, Forums are Forums, Galleries are galleries and Blogs are blogs. I realize that my site represents a small fraction of how XOOPS is used, but I think it's perfect for what I need.

WHAT IS TRULY NEEDED is some sort of "Member Suite" of modules that all work together. For example, users could access their Member Pages, Member Blog, Webmail, profile, and Gallery all from the same place. That would make it easier on members and possibly take up less real estate on the Main Menu.

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits