tom
Mac Address Vs IP Address banning
  • 2004/10/11 23:52

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

A feature I fell is missed in XOOPS is MAC address and MAC banning, it would be good if when a user signs up his MAC address is added to his profile so only admin can see it, then a option in the admin to ban MAC address, this will ban that members machine (PC) and this does not change like a IP address.

I know this has been mentioned before, and a feature request has been added to Sourcforge, but just woundered if this feature would come? after all IP banning isn't really that usefull.

Are there any thoughts on this also?

tom
Re: Mac Address Vs IP Address banning
  • 2004/10/11 23:59

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Sorry forgot to add, maybe a additional feature to search Accounts using same mac, for those sites that state only 1 account per person????

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/12 1:28

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

WOW! I love this idea. I am totally new to this so please be patient with me and my newbie questions(!). How would a mac address be identified? Is it already being 'seen' by the server and I just don't know it? I would love to be able to ban a particular user and not a whole IP range. On my site I allow anonymous comments. Most of our readers are paranoid about registering because they think big brother is watching. Would this idea work for anonymous posters too? Please educate me on how this works. I want to learn.

I'd love to have precise control over banning users.

ackbarr

the MAC address is not available in any of the information that PHP provides to an executing script. However, nearly (if not all) TCP/IP implementations include an app called 'arp' which can resolve all active connections to a network interface, returning both the IP address and MAC address. So one way of getting the MAC address would be to execute 'arp' and parse its output, matching the current request's IP address to the returned lines. In fact, a quick google search yielded this PHP function that looks like it would do the trick:

http://forums.devarticles.com/showthread.php?p=36418#post36418

Please note the command line for arp is slightly different on a windows machine however (at least on Windows XP). Instead of 'arp -l', the proper command is 'arp -a'

ackbarr
Re:Mac Address Vs IP Address banning

what I failed to mention is that it would take a bit of testing to find a method of MAC Address resolution that worked on every platform, but it looks possible to get that information.

upsadaz
  • 2004/10/12 3:24

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

Swwwiiiish!
Did you hear that? That was the sound of your very intelligent comment going over my head... LOL
I'm going to check out these links. I'm sure I'll love it and then be back for more "edamacation"!

Thanks for the help ackbarr.

tom
  • 2004/10/13 11:04

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

@ upsadaz

Every piece of hardware has a MAC address, so lets say for example you could monitor a modem MAC address, the member plays up, you ban his MAC (modem) from coming on line.

I don't know all the in's and outs like Ackbar prob does, but surely it's about time we had a system which could put an end to troublesome users of any site, and every site will get people like this from time to time.

Mithrandir

I did a search about this, when the MAC address banning was added as a feature request, but I did not succeed in locating a method to retrieve the MAC address with PHP.

Anybody able to give pointers towards this, please do so we can investigate the options available.

tom
  • 2004/10/13 11:46

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Was that when I posted it, lol (Gmax21) or prior?

If MAC is not a option, is there possibly anything else more reliable than IP.

Have none of the other Forums, like IPB or PHPBB or even CMS's every intergrated such a feature? I'm sure I've heard talk of such thing a long time ago?

tom
  • 2004/10/13 11:53

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Any one else have any ideas on this, baring in mind the smart trouble causes could use Proxies to try and avoid IP banning?

I had a breif look at IPB and the best I could see so far was IP, and searching all members for the same IP:

Quote:
About IP Member Tools

The IP Member Tools page (Users and Groups -> IP Member Tools) is a simple interface provided by IPB for finding out information about a particular IP address in relation to your board, and conversely, finding out which IP addresses have been used by a particular member.

To search by IP address, enter all or part of an IP address in the section labelled "IP Multi-tool". When entering part of an IP address, you should use the wildcard character * to represent the unspecified number. You can only use wildcards from right to left. For example, entering 111.111.*.111 would be invalid. Valid examples would be 111.111.*.* or 111.111.111.*.

After clicking Show Me!, IPB will display everything it knows about the IP address entered, including:

* The hostname that the IP address resolves to (if a complete address was entered)
* Members that used the IP when registering
* Members that used the IP when posting
* Members that used the IP when voting
* Members that used the IP when sending e-mail via the board, and
* Members that used the IP when validating their accounts

This information is often useful when troubleshooting account problems, or locating the source of troublemakers.

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits