cbhelms
Count Down
  • 2004/10/8 14:48

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/6 2

I would like a module or block that could be configured individually by the user that will count down to a certain date and they could publish the count down on a general count down page. Any thoughts?

Thanks
cb

ackbarr
Re: Count Down

Sounds like a good idea. So should the module:

Allow for multiple countdowns to run at the same time?
Continually count down as the user views the page (using client-side javascript)?

What should it do when the counter hits zero? How long should it keep completed countdowns in the list?

cbhelms
  • 2004/10/8 17:01

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

It should keep the completed count down for the user until the user deletes it or resets it. On the public display, maybe a 3 - 7 days. The user could set that but no more then the max time of 7 days. The max time could be determined by the webmaster depending on the usage. As for multiple count downs. The public display yes, however, for the user no. The user could only have 1 countdown at a time. The public display could also be only limited to the nearest times. For example. you have 10 users. At the current time 4 of the count downs are 10 days from expiring, 2 are 5 days, another is 3 days, 2 are 1 day, and the last is 5 hours away. Only sdisplay the last 4. Maybe allow the webmaster to limit the number to display, but no more then 10. Or have the web master choose the number of days or hours away the event end is to display.
As for the continual count down, that would be cool, but not a requirement. Maybe update when the page is refreshed.

cb

ajuden
  • 2004/10/8 17:59

• ajuden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/17

What if the users were able to set a description and a date for each countdown? Then the user can see their own list of countdowns. They can see a description of what the countdown actually is for. Then the countdown would end on whatever day they have set for it to end.

cbhelms
  • 2004/10/9 11:23

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

I guess it might help to understand the reasoning behind this. At similar sites of mine users have this crazyness of putting html vacation count down clocks in the text of their posts. I would like to keep them out of the forums, but still provide an outlet for this type of behavior. So hope this helps.

cbhelms
  • 2004/10/11 17:57

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

Do you think this is a feesable task or something that would take a buttload of time?

cbhelms
  • 2004/10/13 13:45

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

bump

ajuden
  • 2004/10/13 13:52

• ajuden

• Just popping in

It sounds like a I can accomplish this task. I'm still really new at actually creating modules, so I may try my hand at this, but it will most likely take me some time. Good thing is, I work almost directly with Ackbarr at my full time job, so help is extremely close.

cbhelms
  • 2004/10/14 19:32

• cbhelms

• Just popping in

Sweet, that would be awesome. Let me know if you need help testing.

ajuden
  • 2004/10/18 0:05

• ajuden

• Just popping in

Hey cbhelms, all is going well on the module so far. As of right now, I haven't implemented an admin side to the module. I haven't actually seen a need for it. All countdowns are managed by the user themselves. I have the module as it is for demo on my website (Judenware), please excuse the site for content, I just opened up the site on Friday. Still working on getting everything the way that we want it. The module is not done yet, but if you register on the site, you can play with the module to see what you think.

Oh yeah, the module is called countdown.

Let me know what you think of it.

Things I still need to work on:
1. I need to add an edit page, to allow editing the countdowns.
2. I need to add a delete button on the edit page.
3. I need to change the add form to use the calendar button, instead of the date and time text boxes (so, right now only the date and time text boxes work.)
4. And I need to fix the starting date to open to today's date when opening the calendar button on the add countdown page.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits