tvepsorg
This is the kind of theme!!!
  • 2004/10/8 8:51

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

When I said I wanted more graphic rich themes.. something like this is what I was talking about.

brash
Re:This is the kind of theme!!!
  • 2004/10/8 9:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Yeah, the problem you are just about always going to have with themes based heavily on graphics is they turn your site performance into a dog, which ultimately is going to cost you visitors. That site you linked to in your post totalled in at around 468k, 102 HTTP requests and took over 22 seconds to load over my broadband connection. This is WAY to much and it would take a local 56k modem user between a minute and a half and two minutes to load the site. A modem user on the other side of the world may as well forget about it. In comparison my site is around 75K with 15 HTTP requests and according to the poll I'm running at the moment it takes less than 10 seconds for my site to load for 80% of the people who have voted. And that is hosting my site from home over a 512/512 DSL connection. My site is most definately not a great example, you should have a look at some of the funky stuff StudioC, tjnemez and a few others are doing with pure CSS based themes. They are truly amazing. They get that really nice graphical look and feel about them, with great performance to match.

smdcom

yeps.. it's too heavy to load the site...

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/8 9:38

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Well.. my site is on a pretty fast server and I don't like to cater to people on dialup. If developers keep trying to cater to people who are behind the times than we will never move forward. I do agree that it would take a while, but still would like to have the option. That way I can set it up as a theme and let the user determine which one best suites them and their bandwidth.

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/8 9:47

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Quote:
StudioC, tjnemez

do you have urls to those sites? do they have XOOPS themes?

script_fu

The MDesign Community makes some of the best themes in the world. Many times I have surfed that site with a 56K modem and just drooled over the work they put out! It was worth any extra load time I might have spent. I would love to see themes like that any day here @ XOOPS they are exceptional in every way. I think how long someones stays on your site is based on your (content) if you have good content they will stay. If the site sucks they will go.

brash
  • 2004/10/8 11:02

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

tvepsorg wrote:
Quote:
StudioC, tjnemez

do you have urls to those sites? do they have XOOPS themes?

StudioC and tjnemez are XOOPS members, have a look at their profiles to get link info

Quote:

script_fu wrote:

The MDesign Community makes some of the best themes in the world. Many times I have surfed that site with a 56K modem and just drooled over the work they put out! It was worth any extra load time I might have spent. I would love to see themes like that any day here @ XOOPS they are exceptional in every way. I think how long someones stays on your site is based on your (content) if you have good content they will stay. If the site sucks they will go.

I wasn't meaning to disrespect the huge amount of work that haas obviously been put into their themes. There is no denying their visual appeal. I was simply refering to the construction in regards to how the total file size and total HTTP requests would negatively effect real world performance of a site running such a theme. In an ideal Internet world we wouldn't have the limitations that we have with latency and available bandwidth, but we do. As such it is only in a webmasters best interest to make best with what we have, and try and make the end user experience as enjoyable as they can. This includes (among others) aspects from both visual and waiting times when loading the site, and inevitably means a compromise will have to be made at some point.

ackbarr

well regardless of how the site would perform with the theme, it looks like the developer has several(!!!) themes available for download. If I can get permission from the original theme developer, anyone want to help port some of these to XOOPS?

ajuden
  • 2004/10/8 13:46

• ajuden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/17

I would help port this theme Ackbarr!

ackbarr

I just sent an email to the designer and await his reply.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits