domineaux
Invisions Boards - no provisions for charity there
  • 2004/10/4 17:07

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I've got a friend who is building a site with forums for a women's HIV support group.

My friend contacted Invision to see if they would comp the IPB forums for a very worthy charity.

Invision responded they had no provisions for charities.

The lady with the support group is getting a FREE copy of the Visualstudio.NET Enterprise Architect edition software about $2,500, for free and numerous other options for supporting the site from no-less than the big gun...MICROSOFT.

My friend is amazed...he's gonna be more amazed building his site with ASP. LOL

I think that is an awesome story, and it certainly speaks well of Microsoft.

It is disappointing to think that Invision has no interest in charities. Invisions software product is built around the charity of Linux, PHP, Apache and a multitude of 3rd party developers. LOL

That old story about the Rattlesnake is so true.

The hiker is climbing along the freezing timberline in the mountains and comes across a Rattlesnake. The Rattlesnake is shaking with cold and asks the hiker to please save him, and take him down to the bottom of the mountain where it was warm so he won't freeze.

The hiker told the Rattlesnake that he was not stupid, because the Rattlesnake would bite him. The Rattlesnake promised that he wouldn't bite the hiker, afterall his life was in peril. The Rattlesnake finally prevailed upon the hiker to carry him to the bottom of the mountain.

When the hiker opened his knapsack to release the Rattlesnake...the snake bit him. The hiker exclaimed, "You promised you wouldn't bite me, because I was saving your life". The Rattlesnake responded, " I know I did, I'm sorry...but I'm a Rattlesnake".

Draven
Re: Invisions Boards - no provisions for charity there
  • 2004/10/4 17:15

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Has Invision totally removed their free version?

ackbarr
Re:Invisions Boards - no provisions for charity there

That is a shame that they would not provide one for charity. I was certain that they still provided their earlier releases for free, but I could find no traces of it on their site. Perhaps VBulliten would be more open to a donation.

intel352
  • 2004/10/4 17:17

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

the user probably wants a fully licensed version of invision, the 'free' version is just an unlimited trial or something

Draven
  • 2004/10/4 17:31

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Well I just reviewed their site and indeed they have removed all traces of any free versions, which I find a total crock of sh!t. The damn thing was founded to be a free BB board and now the greedy little &*^%$$ want money for it. They even go as far as to say you can't even talk about the software on their forums (regarding why it is pay and no longer free) cause they'll instantly remove it.

Well I hope they tank and people move to other FREE bb's like PHPBB.

Sorry, just really pisses me off to see something that was great, and supported by the community, suddenly get greedy and charge.

domineaux
  • 2004/10/4 17:36

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

My friend is a died-in-wool Cold Fusion site builder.

I mentioned XOOPS for the site and Invision for the boards, because the charity has very little money for anything.

I too was very disappointed to hear Invision had no provisions for charities. I mean that's just bad.

I didn't suggest using anything pre-the-current-release, even if it were available. Security issues being what they are and all. I know I'm trying to pull Invision off my sites, unless they site owners are willing to cough up the $199.00. That's funny too, a couple days ago it was $149 for unlimited license, $40 for one year, now it's $79.95 one year and $199.00 unlimited license. Those guys can't make up their mind what they want. LOL

Regardless, I sure ain't putting that snake in my Knapsack. LOL

ipporek
  • 2004/10/16 9:37

• ipporek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/13

Sigh... and there I was too thinking that Invision was so much better than the rest...

pants
  • 2004/10/17 11:32

• pants

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/17

Quote:

domineaux wrote:
I've got a friend who is building a site with forums for a women's HIV support group.

My friend contacted Invision to see if they would comp the IPB forums for a very worthy charity.

Invision responded they had no provisions for charities.

The lady with the support group is getting a FREE copy of the Visualstudio.NET Enterprise Architect edition software about $2,500, for free and numerous other options for supporting the site from no-less than the big gun...MICROSOFT.

My friend is amazed...he's gonna be more amazed building his site with ASP. LOL

I think that is an awesome story, and it certainly speaks well of Microsoft.

It is disappointing to think that Invision has no interest in charities. Invisions software product is built around the charity of Linux, PHP, Apache and a multitude of 3rd party developers. LOL

That old story about the Rattlesnake is so true.

The hiker is climbing along the freezing timberline in the mountains and comes across a Rattlesnake. The Rattlesnake is shaking with cold and asks the hiker to please save him, and take him down to the bottom of the mountain where it was warm so he won't freeze.

The hiker told the Rattlesnake that he was not stupid, because the Rattlesnake would bite him. The Rattlesnake promised that he wouldn't bite the hiker, afterall his life was in peril. The Rattlesnake finally prevailed upon the hiker to carry him to the bottom of the mountain.

When the hiker opened his knapsack to release the Rattlesnake...the snake bit him. The hiker exclaimed, "You promised you wouldn't bite me, because I was saving your life". The Rattlesnake responded, " I know I did, I'm sorry...but I'm a Rattlesnake".

dood.. Tell your friend if he/she wants, i have a spare data base and invision board they can have on my server. Full admin etc. Its part of my package, two years to run on it. it has 300gb file bandwidth a month as well.

I cant believe they have done said that.

pants
  • 2004/10/17 11:36

• pants

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/17

sorry, tell them email me on

obi.spike@gmail.com

I'll send them a gmail invite too if they need enough room not delete any messages.

Jan304
  • 2004/10/17 12:37

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Quote:
Well I just reviewed their site and indeed they have removed all traces of any free versions, which I find a total crock of sh!t. The damn thing was founded to be a free BB board and now the greedy little &*^%$$ want money for it. They even go as far as to say you can't even talk about the software on their forums (regarding why it is pay and no longer free) cause they'll instantly remove it.

Yes, this was announced almost a month ago that they would completely remove the free version.

See:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=149069

I don't know, or anyone still remembers why Invision was developed, but I remember there slogan (was a bit different, but looks like it): "Why paying for a bulletin board, if you can get one for free?". (I think they were refering to vBulletin)

Hopefully Math will get his brain backs in place of thinking only of money...

Login

Who's Online

139 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 139

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits