ManXP
Meta tags problem
  • 2004/9/21 9:57

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/14

I discovered that XOOPS has problem with meta tags. In reason of this, it's not possible to get best results within search engines.

It's needed to fix the following:

Page TITLE Tag is out of sequence - should be before DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS META Tags
Page DESCRIPTION Tag is out of sequence - should be after TITLE Tag and before KEYWORDS META Tags

I mean, it should be ordered like this:

1. Page Title
2. Description
3. Keywords

pdaddict
Re: Meta tags problem
  • 2004/9/21 10:59

• pdaddict

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/6 1

It's not XOOPS that has a problem with meta tags. The culprit is the one who designed the theme you use.

ackbarr

as pdaddict said, this is an issue with the theme you are using. To adjust, 1st enable the "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" setting in "Administration Menu" -> "System" -> "Preferences" -> "General Settings" then edit /<yourtheme>/theme.html

In this file, this is the title line:
<title><{$xoops_sitename}> - <{$xoops_pagetitle}></title>

This line is 'description' meta tag:
<meta name="description" content="<{$xoops_meta_description}>" />

and this line is the 'keyword' meta tag:
<meta name="keywords" content="<{$xoops_meta_keywords}>" />

Re-order them properly and save the theme.html file. Once you have verified that the changes were applied properly, you can disable "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?"

Stewdio
  • 2004/9/21 12:24

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I know so little about about search engines and I have often wondered why my page description was never showing up.

Thanks for the tip

ManXP
  • 2004/9/21 13:35

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

Hm, i'll check if it's my theme's problem. But why XOOPS website has teh same problem too? XOOPS.org uses theme which is default in this great CMS.

ackbarr

well to be honest, I've never heard that the meta tags had to be in an explicit order. I was just trying to answer how the meta tags order are controlled by the theme.

I'll admit that my SEO knowledge is limited, so if an you point me to some references online that explain how this works, I would appreciate it.

Stewdio
  • 2004/9/21 16:13

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I've been doing some reading and there is a large debate over it, but the general concensus is that it doesn't matter.

My Google Search revealed more forums where this is being talked about by people who seem to know what they are talking about. It was definately insightfull and I also found a program called Meta Tag Promoter. It's usefull in that in the help file it explains much of what the meta tags do.

As such, I've updated my meta tags and added a few new ones not included in your standard XOOPS theme. Now I'll just wait for the results.

ManXP
  • 2004/9/21 16:15

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

Ok, i changed my theme with right order - still the same problem, so it means that's XOOPS problem.

For seo i recommend reading articles on bruceclay.com

ackbarr

Quote:

ManXP wrote:
Ok, i changed my theme with right order - still the same problem, so it means that's XOOPS problem.

For seo i recommend reading articles on bruceclay.com

Thanks for the link to bruceclay.com. XOOPS caches the smarty template used for a theme, which is why your site did not see those changes automatically. The easiest thing to do at this point is to empty your template_c directory, forcing smarty to recompile all templates (for the brave, you can remove only the template file for the theme.html).

In the future, you can force XOOPS to automatically recompile the smarty templates when the theme files change by turning on "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" in the System Preferences. This setting should only be on when you are modifying a theme, as it can cause a significant difference in load to have it on all the time.

ManXP
  • 2004/9/21 17:55

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

Oh, sorry sorry sorry, it was my fault, i didn't update theme when uploaded changed files to server, now everything seems to be ok. You can check xoops.org in bruceclay.com for analyzing keywords, because it has the same problem as i had (bad order). Now i fixed almost everything, optimized my keywords and tyring to get in top list ;)

Thanks for the help, i didn't know the trick with templates_c.

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits