acroplt
Cannot access my own site within my own personel network
  • 2004/9/16 2:03

• acroplt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/9 1

I recently decided to host my own site. Running windows XP and installed Microsoft IIS. Ran a basic site for about a week and then decided to install PHP and Xoops. After installation and set up, site works fine but I cannot administer site from within my own home network. Small 4 port router with three computers running static IP's. If I bring up the browser on any of them and type in the www.XXXX I get no connect - aslo no connect if I type in my intranet IP address for the computer acting as the server. I run a VPN Client on one computer to access work and I can connect to work via VPN and and see the website just fine. Could access it before XOOPS - can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks
Mike

thedocks
Re: Cannot access my own site within my own personel network
  • 2004/9/16 7:07

• thedocks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 7

I dont know how technical you are, so hope you dont think I am teaching you to suck eggs.

First of all I would try to ping the server. (Start->Run) then type cmd, in the dos box type Ping {your server IP address}

If you get a reply from {your server}, then you PC can at least see the web server.

You could also see what route your PC is taking to reach the server. It could be that the PC is always going down the VPN tunnle. In the a cmd box again, type

tracert {your server IP Address} and see what hops it does to reach the server. You should be able to see if it is going down the VPN.

Also try to ping the PC from the server. You should also check the default gateway on the server, it could be that you web request from the PC is reaching the server but then the server is sending the response down the VPN tunnle.

Let us know the results.
Simon
Whats on in Preston
http://www.prestondocks.net

acroplt
  • 2004/9/16 22:59

• acroplt

• Just popping in

Simon,
I appreciate your response. I can successfully ping anything on my system from the host or other computers to the host. Tracert appears that it goes directly to the address. In mt TCP/IP static setup I have the default gateway set to my router address and also have that address in the primary DNS server. I am using NO-IP.com to resolve my WAN IP if it changes. I can also see and manipulate the shared files from one computer to another so I don't believe I have an internal network problem it just appears that the host is not visable from inside my network. I would appreciate any other thoughts.
Mike

DonXoop

That is a DNS/Hosts issue. If the hostname resolves to an external IP or anything not the IP of the server from inside the network it won't work without some firewall tricks.

example: www.yours.tom resolves to 24.123.321.1 from the outside and works fine since the firewall bounces it inside. But from the inside that same address goes backwards through the firewall and gets lost.

Make sure the hostname resolves in a logical manner from whevever you are using it from.

If you use the IP and configure mainfile.php with the IP instead of hostname it will work except where it must bounce off a firewall.

acroplt
  • 2004/9/18 1:35

• acroplt

• Just popping in

Changed mt mainfile.php to IP address and it now works fine inside my net but cannot be reached from outside. Can I insert a line to make it recognize both?
Thanks for the help - getting closer.
Mike

jmass
  • 2004/9/18 5:58

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

This is a common trap.

The best solution is to have an internal DNS that points to the webserver by internal IP. If your network is small enough, a hosts file would do.

JMass

acroplt
  • 2004/9/18 22:21

• acroplt

• Just popping in

Changed the Hosts file on the local PC with the IP and the web site and it works perfectly
Thanks Much
Mike

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits